Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be picking one of these up in a trade, just seeing what the general consensus was on these. I've heard great things about the higher end springfield 1911's. Overall I know it's the "low end" model, but is it bad? I'm not expecting a top of the line gun or anything, but will it serve as a good stepping stone into better 1911's? I've only shot one in my life, and only a handful of times at that. Want to make sure I'm not ruining my 1911 experience with a poor gun. Is getting the mil-spec model worth the extra cash?

Also might grab a Rock Island, with Wilson internals. That's all i know right now, do the better internals add anything to what is a relatively cheap gun?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The GI is a great entry-level 1911. Just be aware that it has a non-flared ejector port and low WWII sights; but other than that it is a great shootin' gun!

My GI was my first 1911, and although I've picked up three more I still love shooting it. I would not mod it at all, once you get the desire for a more tricked out 1911, do what I did and buy a second one...and a third one...and a fourth! :mrgreen: But leave the GI as it comes!

Cheers! M2

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
I have a GI that has been modified...but love it! It was a great shooter when largely stock, and it is a great shooter as it is today.

If you have 'older' eyes, the sights will be a bit tough since they are small...otherwise, a great gun.

I will go on to add that I have heard GREAT things about the RIA 1911...lots of members here have (and rave over) them!

You can't go wrong with either of these pistols!

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have owned a Springfield GI for about 5 years now.

Mine shoots as good as my two Colts. My Kimber TLE II will beat it on the range...but not by leaps and bounds. The TLE costs about double...so I expected it to out-shoot the GI.

All in all, I am VERY impressed with my GI and I don't think I'd sell it. Its also been very reliable and feeds everything I give it.

I'd give it a try...you might find that even though the GI is the lower end Springfield - its a very good shooter. Many people here and on M1911.org's website own GIs and say really good things about this version.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
only problem Ive ever heard of (and this is stuff I've read I don't have one) is that SA GI's and others too tend to be picky about feeding HP's.I do not have any first hand experience with the SA GI however I had a RIA GI that after buying high quality mags ate the biggest nastiest HP's made without a hiccup. I put about 5000 rnds through it before I sold it and its had another few thousand rnds through it with the second owner still going strong. Either one would I'd imagine serve you well once you get used to the GI sights. Is it a stainless GI or parkerized? I like the stainless SA GI's myself. anyways good luck with the trade

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
My Springer GI has fed Hydra-Shoks, Silvertips and SXTs with no bobbles at all.

I am sure theres one it won't feed, but these three are some of the more popular ones and they run fine in my GI.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Not a bad thing from me about the GI! I love Springfield brand 1911s

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Yeah, I don't carry any of my 1911s...that is what my XD is for! The 1911s are range guns, and although the other ones are more "high-tech" or a but more flashier than the GI; I would never part with it. There is something historical in the way that particular GI looks that just draws me in. It is a fun gun to shoot and a nice one to look at!

Cheers! M2

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
my springer GI45 is my baby

with the distances that im going ot be using mine at the lo pro sights are just fine

the only thing i dont like about her, is that sometimes she throws brass down the back of my shirt, but then again love hurts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts