Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Range Report: Springfield EMP 9mm

Well, I finally got to shoot my EMP at the range. Went through 250 rounds of federal 115gr ammo before I had to go home. I know this isn't a significant amount of rounds, but thought I would share my initial impressions. Overall, I am pleased with the gun.

Fit and finish is excellent. It feels like a high quality piece. (as well it should be, for the price) It locks up nice and tight and there is not any noticeable slop between the slide and frame. The tritium sights do their part well, and the G10 grips are the perfect compromise between texture, grip, and thickness. I was afraid they would be too sharp but they are just right.

Not sure what the "break-in" count is supposed to be round wise, but I had 3 failure to feeds in the first 3 mags. It was the in the middle of each mag. After that, no more hiccups for the next 225 rounds. The 3 times that it did FTF, it looked like the nose of the round got hung up on the feed ramp? After that, it ran like a sewing machine.

Also, SA lists this gun as having a capacity of 9+1? I can get 9 rounds in the mag, but I can't put it in the gun with one in the chamber. It seems too tight a fit and I can't jamb the mag all the way in... Not sure if the mag spring is supposed to loosen up or what? I ended up running 8+1 on all my loads.

Ergonomically and function wise, it feels great in my hand just like all other 1911's however the grip is noticeably smaller in width. The trigger is listed as 5-6 lbs. on the SA website. I guess this is fine on a defense pistol, but I may have it tuned to 3.5-4lbs. We shall see. It has a small bit of take up and a very short reset. Nice crisp trigger out of the box.

Accuracy wise, this little pistol is pretty sick! I put up some quarter sized shoot-n-c dots and had no problem hitting them at 7 yards. The pistol is also a very soft shooter. Recoil is almost non existent for me. Definitely the softest shooting gun with a 3" barrel that I own.

I hope to get some more rounds down range soon and then test out feeding of different hollow points.

so there you have it...the good and the not so good.

couple targets from today:

Loaded one mag with 9 rounds @ 7 yards...

2 more mags in the center and 2 new pasties...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I finally got to load 9+1. Only way was to smack the bottom of the mag in pretty forcefully.

Can any other EMP owners chime in? Do you have to force the 9 round mag in on a closed slide or does yours just go in with minimal effort?

I will be sending 2 mags to Log man for modification, so I guess I will be stuck with 8+1 anyways when I conceal & carry. =P

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
So I finally got to load 9+1. Only way was to smack the bottom of the mag in pretty forcefully.

Can any other EMP owners chime in? Do you have to force the 9 round mag in on a closed slide or does yours just go in with minimal effort?

I will be sending 2 mags to Log man for modification, so I guess I will be stuck with 8+1 anyways when I conceal & carry. =P

I had to smack my new EMP mags in pretty hard as well.

I should get mine back for SACS (SA customer service) tomorrow.
I sent it back for a few mods, the sights being one of them.
I just can't see that silver outlined trijicon front sight.

The logman modded mags seem to go in pretty easy..

Pretty happy with my EMP as well..

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Those logman flush mount mags look sick. I guess you never clean them internally seeing as they are welded?? Either way they are a nice touch.

I have never fired an EMP but fondled a fair share. They seem like a dream carry piece.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those logman flush mount mags look sick. I guess you never clean them internally seeing as they are welded?? Either way they are a nice touch.

I have never fired an EMP but fondled a fair share. They seem like a dream carry piece.
Log man drills two witness holes in the side of the mag so you can (1.) see how many rounds are loaded and (2.) Insert a rod/punch/paperclip whatever into the hole so you can hold tension off the follower and remove it and then the spring for cleaning. :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice shooting, I love playing blast the dots?
why thank you sir. Tis very fun when you have an accurate pistol hehe.

Also, if anyone is looking for EMP factory mags right now, they are on sale on the Springfield Armory website for $17.85 which is cheaper than the loaded coupon! Just ordered a couple.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Log man drills two witness holes in the side of the mag so you can (1.) see how many rounds are loaded and (2.) Insert a rod/punch/paperclip whatever into the hole so you can hold tension off the follower and remove it and then the spring for cleaning. :)

Much like a Kimber stock mag..
You block the spring, remove the follower, and it all comes right out..;)

For a carry pistol, I'll take this;

Over this;

Even if it means losing a round..
But then again, I prefer shot placement over mag capacity...

But I now have this..

Perfect for me...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys...EMP is still running great. Got my logman mags in and silent thunder holster. Life is good! =)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do you like carrying the emp in your silent thunder? Does it work well sitting and driving?
The draw from the silent thunder is buttery smooth. It feels awesome.
It works well for me, especially sitting and driving, because I usually carry appendix IWB. Appendix carry is not for everyone, but it suits my needs perfectly.

The good thing about Garrett holsters is they will ship your order within 2 weeks or less. That is definitely not the case with many other custom holster companies... I've waited 4-6 months from other guys. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
81 Posts
The silent thunder looks nice and slim. I prefer appendix carry as well. I guess I will need to order one and try it out.

Do they offer 30 day trial period?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Buds has one in stock for $1075. Good price I just paid the same on Gunbroker The problem is now my wife wants to sell her XDsc for one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts