Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is Springfields response (basically the same thing Scott said earlier) to my request for a replacement barrel.

We do not sell the XD barrels separately. You may want to try Barsto, they do sell an aftermarket bbl.

Thanks,

Brandy

Customer Service Department

Springfield Incorporated

420 W Main Street

Geneseo, Illinois 61254

800-680-6866

This doesn't make any sense to me? Why not sell spare parts? :roll:

They referred me to Barsto but as I stated in my first post I don't want the tighter chamber dimensions as this may become a defensive pistol, I want a OEM barrel (guess you can't have everything you want).

Anybody have a EFK .357 tactical barrel in their .40 tactical? Does it feed RELIABLY during rapid fire?

Thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
If I was to buy another barrel it would be a Bar Sto or Jarvis if they made one for the XD. Why would I want another Barrel from SA, just because it is OEM? A match grade barrel should not make a gun any less reliable. Just my .02

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read more than one article or post that has stated match barrels have tighter chamber tolerances and that can in some cases lead to minor feeding or extraction problems. Almost all sites that sell aftermarket barrels state that these barrels should only be used for range and competition not self defense. I'm no expert so I can't say for sure but it sounds logical.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Jarvis makes good barrels, however they do not make one for the XD. I got oen for my Walther P99 when the original barrel failed. Very accurate and great quality finish. Maybe we can convince them to mak XD barrels too.

·
Registered
200 Posts
EFK FIREDRAGON is you best bet altho barsto is the #1 recomendation there batch running takes (A) while and EFK is just as good and in stock (XD) . just a personal opinion / observation. Frank will do you right..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
one-eyed-fatman said:
Snake-eater 1 said:
FireSeven said:
Why would you ever need a new barrel if you aren't going to convert the size and you have a lifetime warranty?

:twisted:
I think he's trying to get a .357 barrel for his .40 Tactical, Yes?
And use it for CCW? Oh boy.... Not good.
Why? The frame, breech face, extractor, magazine etc. are all common parts between the .357 and .40. If I buy a OEM barrel it essentially becomes a XD357. I'm no expert so maybe I'm missing something? The OEM barrels are not fitted are they? I know putting a 9mm conversion barrel in a .40 for CCW is a bad idea but I don't see the issue with .357/.40 conversions?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FireSeven said:
Why would you ever need a new barrel if you aren't going to convert the size and you have a lifetime warranty?

I'm sure there are things that can be done to a barrel that wouldn't be covered by the warranty. I know anybody that takes proper care of their guns should never need a replacement barrel I just think if I want to buy a new barrel I should be able to, but thats just me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For as good a company as Springfield is they do some rather screwy things to their customers.

For instance I have a 5 inch loaded 1911 that I wanted to add Heinie night sights to so I called Heinie and was told that they make a rear night sight but Springfield uses a proprietary front sight cut and I would have to get one from them.

Like a tool I ordered the rear sight from Heinie before calling Springfield, big mistake. When I finally called Springfield customer service to order a front sight with tritium inserts I was told that they would not sell one to me but would be happy to install it. I was told it would take 5 weeks for the custom shop to do it.

IMHO if you are going to use a wacky dovetail cut that no one else uses you really do owe it to your customers to sell them replacement parts directly. I have a smith that could have done it same day for me instead of making me wait 5 weeks.

At that point my only other options were to have the smith recut the front dovetail to fit the Heinie OEM front sight but the gun was already hard chromed and would have had to refinish the slide and been without the gun while it got replated or to send it off to a company in Michigan that does tritium inserts for Trijicon but that would have taken 5 weeks and cost more than a complete set of new Heinie straight 8's.

In short all three options stunk both cost wise and time wise. I was really disappointed with Springfields attitude on the whole matter, it wasn't like I was asking for something out of the ordinary and wasn't taking business away from them. I ended up selling the rear sight (at a loss) and leaving the stock sights on there. I still love my 1911 but Springfield could have done a little more IMHO.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I guess I dont know. I did not think that a Bar Sto bbl would be any less reliable than the OEM bbl. I would be sure to test any modification out at the range with a minimum of 500rnds that I intend to carry before using it as a CCW.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
mpholic said:
one-eyed-fatman said:
Snake-eater 1 said:
FireSeven said:

And use it for CCW? Oh boy.... Not good.
Why? The frame, breech face, extractor, magazine etc. are all common parts between the .357 and .40. If I buy a OEM barrel it essentially becomes a XD357. I'm no expert so maybe I'm missing something? The OEM barrels are not fitted are they? I know putting a 9mm conversion barrel in a .40 for CCW is a bad idea but I don't see the issue with .357/.40 conversions?
My feelings on this are... the minute you change out a part on a gun to a different part that didn't orginally come with that gun then you basically have an experimental gun. That's great for out at the range but for CCW no way, not when your life may depend on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My feelings on this are... the minute you change out a part on a gun to a different part that didn't orginally come with that gun then you basically have an experimental gun. That's great for out at the range but for CCW no way, not when your life may depend on it.
The 357 Sig and 40 S&W have the same bolt face, the same exractor, the same ejector and the same mags. The only difference between the XD in .357 sig and 40 S&W is the barrel and recoil spring. By swapping out the barrels and the recoil spring you don't end up with an "experimental" gun or anything less for that matter you end up with a XD in 357 Sig. I have a Glock 34 that I also bought a 357 Sig barrel from Jarvis. With over 3000 error free rounds through the 357 Sig barrel I would trust my life with it in a second.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts