Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever had any work done on their 1911 by them? I am thinking of sending in my RIA 1911 to get some new sights installed. The lady told me 75$ to install white dot GI style sights, with return shipping included. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Function over form. SHTF scenario, the last thing you want is to not engage the grip safety all the way. I practice draws all the time, but if I push myself like my life depended on the absolute fastest draw possible, I don't always have the best grip.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Sent my SS TRP to the SACS. I was VERY pleased with the entire experience and especially happy with the reseults. :D

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Springfield custom does great work, no doubt about that.

But it's a RIA, send it to RIA's shop, or your local pistol-smith.
If it is only for GI sight, just ask on (local forum?) I am sure someone can recommend a local shop.

Half of that cost is probably the shipping.

Shipping is $10 of that. Local shop said 2hr job at $50 per, so $100. I'm pretty sure I'll be sending it to SACS next week.

Nice pistols guys. :)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will SA work on a RIA?

Most companies will only do custom work on their own pistols...

Yes, they will. That's the first thing I asked when I called, thinking they might not do it cause it's not their pistol.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Will SA work on a RIA?

Most companies will only do custom work on their own pistols...
Yes, they will. That's the first thing I asked when I called, thinking they might not do it cause it's not their pistol.

When I was inquiring about EMP work, I asked about refinishing my RIA.
They told me no problem, but I ended up selling the RIA before I sent the EMP in.
SACS told me they would work on other manufactures 1911s, granted they were in good condition...

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I took my RIA to the only local smith around here and he did a crappy job of installing 3 dot sights on my RIA GI. Now knowing that SA will work on them I may just send mine in for some new sights and some internal parts. Might get it refinished too.

Did that price quote include the sights or is that with you supplying the sights?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took my RIA to the only local smith around here and he did a crappy job of installing 3 dot sights on my RIA GI. Now knowing that SA will work on them I may just send mine in for some new sights and some internal parts. Might get it refinished too.

Did that price quote include the sights or is that with you supplying the sights?

It included sights, installation, and return shipping. On the installation, they are repeening the front sight, not dovetailing it. I dont remember what the price was for cutting a dovetail, but it was a bit more. I figure the cash I save on having it peened is more cash towards another 1911 (either a Ruger or SA Loaded :D ).

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I'm pretty sure most of the custom shops will work on almost anything. I know Wilson will.
Wilson won't work on a RIA, unless they recently changed their policy. This is from their website.

What pistols do you work on?

We will work on Springfield Armory, Colt, Norinco, Wilson Combat, Kimber, Strayer Tripp, and Strayer Voight pistols.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts