Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michael Bane posted in his blog that there is a rumour out that a major private handgun manufacturer is in talks to be purchased. I think all MAJOR handgun manufacturers other than SA are public.

Just a possibility. Depends on what he considers "Major".

Brand would be hot now with the XD/XDm line.

·
Registered
145 Posts
As long as customer service doesnt go down the tubes when people get bought out.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
SA really is not a manufacturer.

They are an importer and assembler.

Colt, Smith & Wesson, Kimber come to mind.

·
Premium Member
22,590 Posts
Ruger is also publically traded.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I think Glock is still private, and Mr. Gaston Glock is getting old. I saw a mention of this over on GT a few weeks ago...

But there were lots of April Fools jokes floating around a few weeks ago

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
I freakin' hope not.

Freedom Group sucks. Freedom Group owns Remington. Try calling Remington about buying a factory SBS/SBR and see how much you like them.

They treat gun owners okay, but they will not sell a factory SBS to any non-government buyers even those qualified to own SBS's like stamp holders.

In essence, they're saying "yeah I'll sell you all of THESE guns, but not THOSE guns even though you can legally own them and Title II stamp holders are among the most lawful gun owners around."

·
Registered
408 Posts
How about Kahr? American made, but not sure if they are private. I think they are from what I have heard.

That would also be a shame since they make some fine guns. I could see a new owner telling to quit making the P series and only make the CW.

RJ

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SA really is not a manufacturer.

They are an importer and assembler.

Colt, Smith & Wesson, Kimber come to mind.
I thought maybe they could be considered a manufacturer on the 1911 side. I know they buy the frames overseas, but thought they might manufacture the slides.

I counted out Glock, I just can't see Gaston selling, let alone to a US company. Colt is primarily a rifle company these days, and not a very attractive one at that.

I think Kimber would be the best fit. Major handgun company. Has been taking a beating the last few years due to their quality control. Tarnished reputation.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Frames and slides are forged and pretty much finished by Imbel in Brazil.

Kahr or Kel Tec could be possible targets.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hope it's not SA. Don't screw up a winning company.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts