Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new 911 and decided to take it to the range today after cleaning it first.

Unfortunately, I had a continued problem where the slide would lock back after every shot....even with ammo still in the magazine. I also had occasional jamming issues, but that was intermittent. Was using the Blazer Brass ammo.

I disassembled and reassembled the gun at the range, but still had the same problem after approx. 75 rounds. By then, just became irritated and left the range. Wanted to try different brand ammo, but didn't have any other. Even then, assume it would be odd to have a problem every single round.

I haven't seen this issue for anyone else and wondered what other obvious things I can do besides contacting Springfield. On a side note, have two other Springfields (Mod 2 9mm, XDm .45) that I have had zero problems with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok....could check my grip, but odd that I would have the same problem every single time. I did try holding it again and looking at how I grip it...my thumb seems far enough away and not near the slide lock.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I've got a lil 380 that if I don't pay attention I'll hit the slide lock, but like you said, not every shot. Just something to try

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took another look at the gun and looked at the manual. It appears my 911 is missing the slide stop spring...assume that’s the problem.

Curious if it was missing at install or came out somehow when I cleaned it last week?. Odd as I don’t remember seeing it when I disassembled last week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sent my 911 before I went off on vacation and received it back last week. It was missing the slide lock, but don't if it was missing at manufacture or because of me when I took it apart and cleaned it. Springfield polished the ramp, reamed the chamber, and adjusted tension.

Took it out last week...had a couple of jams for the first 150 rounds, but then worked fine for the last 100 rounds. I want to fire another 250 rounds reliably before I start carrying it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased a new 911 and decided to take it to the range today after cleaning it first.

Unfortunately, I had a continued problem where the slide would lock back after every shot....even with ammo still in the magazine. I also had occasional jamming issues, but that was intermittent. Was using the Blazer Brass ammo.

I disassembled and reassembled the gun at the range, but still had the same problem after approx. 75 rounds. By then, just became irritated and left the range. Wanted to try different brand ammo, but didn't have any other. Even then, assume it would be odd to have a problem every single round.

I haven't seen this issue for anyone else and wondered what other obvious things I can do besides contacting Springfield. On a side note, have two other Springfields (Mod 2 9mm, XDm .45) that I have had zero problems with.
I have just purchased a springfield 911 .380 yesterday and went to the range and experienced the exact same problems as mentioned above. First round did not fire and subsequent rounds would not fully load from the magazine to the barrel. I tried different ammo (3) all with the same results. I researched the problem on line and found several you tube videos and articles depicting the same problem. I brought it home and disassembled the gun cleaned and lubricated and had problems with the ejector clip allowing the slide to re seat. After sliding the ejector clip in a downward motion I was able to seat the slide but the ejector clip would not return to the upright position. I had to completely take apart the gun and remove the grips to access the ejector clip and put it back in the correct position. Heading back to the range again today to see if the cleaning and lubrication fixed the problem. Not at all impressed with the reliability of a concealed carry weapon for protection.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Hey, those who purchased the 911 series in it's infancy should received some kind of R&D swag.... just sayin'.
You guys really are the test market for these pistols.... I'm looking to purchase the 911 in 9mm once it becomes available.

Reactions: TxHunterJJ

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the positive, Springfield did take care of it when it was sent back.

I would have preferred that it would have worked out of the box like the other Springfields I have. With these problems, would have been nice to at least ship back an extra mag or two to account for our time.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
On the positive, Springfield did take care of it when it was sent back.

I would have preferred that it would have worked out of the box like the other Springfields I have. With these problems, would have been nice to at least ship back an extra mag or two to account for our time.
Very true... Like I said, we are the R&D department only...

What's the saying?

OH YEAH... You have to pay to play the game... :Do_O

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sent my 911 before I went off on vacation and received it back last week. It was missing the slide lock, but don't if it was missing at manufacture or because of me when I took it apart and cleaned it. Springfield polished the ramp, reamed the chamber, and adjusted tension.

Took it out last week...had a couple of jams for the first 150 rounds, but then worked fine for the last 100 rounds. I want to fire another 250 rounds reliably before I start carrying it.
Do you mean it was missed the slide lock spring?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you mean it was missed the slide lock spring?
Yes, it was missing. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell if it is a result of me cleaning it when I first received it, or whether it was missing when I bought it. I don't believe it was me as I think I would have noticed that. If it was me, then it shouldn't have come off/out by simply disassembling for cleaning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took the "repaired" 911 out yesterday and ran 225 rounds through it...200 Winchester target and 25 Hornady Critical defense....had 1 misfeed and 1 failure to eject with the Winchester.

Of greater concern is I noticed that the "repaired" gun had 2 loose and 2 missing grip screws....I'm curious what kind of quality control is going on at Springfield. Now I have to call and see if they will send me the missing screws.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Bought mine last week and took to the range. Same problems, jamming and not firing. Slide lock worked fine until I took apart and cleaned, now same as you. Took back apart and checked. Spring is there and only one way I can tell to install it. ???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If spring is there and seated, sounds like a different problem...maybe with reassembly. Spring doesn't seem to have a way to be kept captive with a screw or other method.

Sounds like you may have to send it in...or double check assembly. When I was putting the slide back on, it wasn't in the correct position when putting pin back in...barrel was sticking out a bit. Bit more of a pain to reassemble vs my mods 2.

May have to send back like I did. Mine operates much better...had two jams after 250 rounds. Need to go to range and try another 250 with zero jams.

When mine came back from Springfield, the grip screws were loose with one missing...pretty poor quality check. Took two weeks before replacement screws arrived.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I did comment a couple times on this but, different thread. Otherwise, same problem with failing to load next round completely. Brought home and dissassembled. Liked to never got back together. While having apart the spring for the slide lock fell out so, I put it back in. Only one way that i see. Now, it locks every time I pull back the slide. Calling Springfield tomorrow. Will most likely send back after reading all about the same problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Should the slide spring put pressure up or down on the lock leaver?
It is positioned on the bottom. I would think it should be on the top pushing down most of the time. The edge of the clip should activate the lock on the last round.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Should the slide spring put pressure up or down on the lock leaver?
It is positioned on the bottom. I would think it should be on the top pushing down most of the time. The edge of the clip should activate the lock on the last round.
From my understanding, it should apply pressure to keep the lock lever down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just called Springfield and got a return label. Letting them check it out. Not happy with the shells sticking. Person I work with has a 9mm SF and said same thing on the sticking or jamming. Said brass castings when fine till broken in 100 rounds or so then metal were OK too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts