Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in purchasing two different SA 1911s. The Loaded Champion SS and the lightweight Operator are the two pistols I am admiring and considering purchasing. What experiences do any of you have with either of these models? What is the normal wait time for one of these? Are these good options for concealed carry? Are there any other options out there that would be better than these two in their price range?

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
I only have a Stainless mil-spec 1911, so I can't comment on those specific models.

If you don't find your answer you might consider browsing the 1911 forum too. 1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin A few of us are members of the site as well.

I'm not over there much, but i use the same username (and avatar). I think So Flo does to.

Bump for more answers.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I just bought a Lightweight Operator and a Loaded Target (literally within the past six hours!) and to be honest I would carry either of them had I not owned an XD45. They are both great guns, the Operator is light and the Loaded has great sites on it. But I prefer the higher capacity of the XD (13+1) over 1911s' 7+1. But I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Of the two, the Operator has the advantage of being lighter, with its aluminum alloy frame, and a match-grade barrel; the Loaded Target's sights are adjustable. Both have Tritium 3 dot sights on them. I would also say the black stainless Loaded is more sinister looking! :twisted:

But either of those are outstanding weapons; but again my preference would be an XD for concealed carry.

Cheers! M2

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I have a custom loaded Champion in stainless. This is an absolutely superb gun. I have been waiting for weeks for it to come in from the custom shop at Springfield..... today was the day (I posted pics earlier).

Yes, this is an awesome gun for concealed carry. I have a don hume IWB holster for it and as soon as I get around 500 rounds without a hiccup it will be my daily carry weapon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought a Lightweight Operator and a Loaded Target (literally within the past six hours!) and to be honest I would carry either of them had I not owned an XD45. They are both great guns, the Operator is light and the Loaded has great sites on it. But I prefer the higher capacity of the XD (13+1) over 1911s' 7+1. But I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Of the two, the Operator has the advantage of being lighter, with its aluminum alloy frame, and a match-grade barrel; the Loaded Target's sights are adjustable. Both have Tritium 3 dot sights on them. I would also say the black stainless Loaded is more sinister looking! :twisted:

But either of those are outstanding weapons; but again my preference would be an XD for concealed carry.

I agree that the XD is excellent for CC, but my tactical is very difficult to conceal in warm weather!!!! My wife carries her custom XD9 tactical in a special purse made for CC, so she has it made! How does the lighter Operator handle recoil compared to the Loaded?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Haven't shot either yet, I just got them this morning and I have a grad school paper due this weekend (which means I shouldn't be screwing around on this site, but obviously I am! :rolleyes:)

My XD is a Service model, and I have no problems concealing it but I buy larger t-shirts to help cover it up. The 5.5" barrel of the 1911s are just as long as your Tactical, so I don't think they are going to be any easier to conceal.

I too am curious as to the recoil with the lighter Operator. But as I will still continue to carry my XD, it won't be as much of an issue as it would if that was going to be my carry weapon.

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've only got a Stainless Loaded, purchased used. I've shot it in bulls-eye competition after putting on an adjustable sight. It's got a very acceptable trigger, good accuracy, and is extremely reliable with FMJ, cast SWC, and my favored Remington Gold Sabers.

Front strap was smooth, so 25-cents of friction tape solved that problem.

My only negative observation is that it's got some edges that may be a tad sharp for carry, but I just haven't taken a the dremel with cratex or some polishing rouge to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't shot either yet, I just got them this morning and I have a grad school paper due this weekend (which means I shouldn't be screwing around on this site, but obviously I am! :rolleyes:)

My XD is a Service model, and I have no problems concealing it but I buy larger t-shirts to help cover it up. The 5.5" barrel of the 1911s are just as long as your Tactical, so I don't think they are going to be any easier to conceal.

I too am curious as to the recoil with the lighter Operator. But as I will still continue to carry my XD, it won't be as much of an issue as it would if that was going to be my carry weapon.

Cheers! M2
I will be getting the 4" version of whichever I decide on! Update us when you get to shoot those fine pistos...and good luck with that paper!!!

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Mine is a sweet shooter... I now have 400 rounds through it as of this moment, not even a hiccup when firing using nothing but JHP's.

I.... like you was deciding on the weight issue... I was thinking of the lightweight model... and I decided on the regular one, I don't care about the weight.... After carrying it for the last 2 days I have decided that I made the right decision... the weight doesn't bother me at all...

I'm not a big guy either, well, maybe my stomach is... lol... I'm 5'7", 180 lbs and I have no problem concealing it under a tee shirt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts