Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am in the market for a new 1911... I figured I would ask some of you what your opinions are instead of the guys on the 1911 forum being that (for the most part) people seem to know what they are talking about here.

Im looking to spend $1500 or less on a 1911. It is not for CCW maybe something I would like to shoot competition with. I would like to take a 1911 to gunsite when I go later this year...
Does anyone have a TRP or the new operator (Green and black with the rail) If so, how do you like them ??
Thanks,
:twisted:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hrdluck13 said:
Does anyone have a TRP or the new operator (Green and black with the rail) If so, how do you like them ??
I don't personally, but my buddy got one and he loves it. He shoots military competitions with the M9 and 1911, so I think he's a pretty good judge of pistol quality.

For $1500 you should be able to get and/or build a 1911 that will out-shoot almost anyone's capabilities.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Incredibly enough I've heard that the S&W 1911's are great (which I still have a hard time believing). Their custom 1911's run about $1,800 though.

Other than that I'd say go with either Springfield or Kimber. I'd probably pick the TRP out of all their pistols.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
For 1500...or thereabouts...you can get a Wilson, Baer or STI 1911. Might as well have the best, if you're going to lay down that kind of cake for one pistol!

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
398 Posts
For 1500 you can get TWO nice 1911's. I think you should have two anyway if you're going to gunsite. Gotta have backup equipment you know.

I'd get two Springfield Loaded models and run about 500 rounds through each one before you head off to Gunsite.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Springfield has the best buy going on 1911's right now. Ive also heard the S&W are excellent also...most of them are being assembled by the custom shop anyways.

Basic competition from the custom shop would be an alright choice for competition. Price is around 1600, comes out of the SA Custom shop. Nowlin barrel, good trigger job, low mount bomar adjustable sights etc.

Other choice is to buy a Springfield GI or Milspec and send it off to a gunsmith for a package job and basically build a competition gun. Good sights, a trigger job, properly fitted barrel + bushing (not necessarily a high dollar barrel mind you) would probably be a good place to start.

My loaded SS from SA came with a single piece barrel....it shot 1" group at 25 yds from a rest with a good trigger job. Just an example of what I mean you dont necessarily need a high dollar barrel to get the job done. Personally though...I wouldnt buy a loaded pistol model again. I switched out so many parts it was better off buying a milspec / GI. I ended up getting a GI for carry duty and started customizing it for my tastes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That makes sense. I have an old Series 70 1911. Everyone is always saying to build it into a race gun, and all that stuff. It was my dads carry gun for years and am torn if I want to build it.
I know on one hand it will be pretty impressive, and on the other I like it how it is...
We will see,
What about the GSR ? Anyone here good things about them ?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Brickboy240 said:
For 1500...or thereabouts...you can get a Wilson, Baer or STI 1911. Might as well have the best, if you're going to lay down that kind of cake for one pistol!

-Brickboy240
You can get and STI Edge that for the most part is ready to run USPSA Limited for somewhere under $1700. Never shot one before but I've heard vvery good things.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i just bought a loaded operator and love it.....i can not wait for cooler weather so i can carry it concealed.....well worth the money to me!!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
kabob983 said:
Incredibly enough I've heard that the S&W 1911's are great (which I still have a hard time believing). Their custom 1911's run about $1,800 though.
Well, belive it. My SW1911 out of the box is fantastic. Have sent close to 1000 rds down range without one problem. They did this one right.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, I knew something was odd when I went to the glocktalk 1911 lover's forum and everyone was ranting and raving about the S&W 1911. Which model do you own ratman & vampire?

·
Registered
285 Posts
My Black Stainless has adjustable night sights and a mag well. I bought it for USPSA Limited 10 and it has performed terrifically in that role. Over 5000 rounds without a single problem of any kind. All this for a shade over $900 which would leave you with a lot of change for holster, mag pouches and extra mags, all of which you'll need for Gunsite and competion. The only changes I've made were a trigger job, different grips to fit my larger hands and a one piece FLGR. Total cost on these was about $125. Five ten-round CMC mags were another $100. The Uncle Mikes holster and two dual Fobus mag pouches came to about $60.

That said, if I were going to drop $1500 on a single stack, I would go with a Baer. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Hey, I have a 2-3 month old SA milspec 1911 I'll sell you for $675. It has a TRP SS match barrel and a match bushing. The Brazilian trigger housing pins have been replaced with USGI pins; the trigger pull is about 4lbs. Extra set of wood grips, 4 gunshow mags that work fine and both the stock and GI short trigger. It's zeroed in at 50yrds and will eat anything it's fed.

Nah, I'm just joking. I just bought the gun from invssgt and don't even have it in my possession yet. It's at my FFl and I have to wait a few more days. It's my first 1911. Good luck with whatever you buy and don't be p.o. for my attempt at humor.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I second the vote for a SA Black Stainless 1911-A1 Loaded with adjustble Night sights

I love mine.... got it for 850 then threw in a few more mags and a C&L don hume holster and i was good to go... I have several thousand rounds through it and love it... would not trade it for anything... but if you just want to spend lots of dough you could go visit Ed Brown... he does nice work too...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I LOVE the black stainless as well.
Well I just put in my order for a stainless TRP. Im getting it for $1300 with tax and all DROS fee's. Not bad considering a few other gun stores ask $1550.
I looked at the Ed Browns, and they are just to expensive. My dad had an STI and hated t. Traded someone for a Kimber TLE R2.
Thanks for everyones opinion it is much appreciated. I fee like I made the best choice for the cash I wanted to spend. Now I need to wait 11 days to fondle it. :D

Thanks again,

Brian

·
Registered
56 Posts
Brickboy240 said:

-Brickboy240
Yeah what he said!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts