Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys please bare with me when I try to explain this, Im not familiar with this firearm so some of my references may be alittle off.

I traded some wood working items to a guy for $100 and a 1903 with the serial number 77X,XXX. After making the trade I did some research and found out that the heat treatment that was used on this serial number gun was not up to par and now they are considered not safe to shoot.

However..... I have been looking the gun over and noticed that at the front of the barrel just below the front site it has some stampings on it, SA then below that 10-42. I have been told that this means the gun was re-barreled in 1942 to be sent overseas for the war. Now does anyone know that when they did this they would have checked the reciever for strength?? The gun is a sweet little looker (it has been sporterized) and I would like to actually be able to shoot this gun. Anyone who would have insight would be great to hear from.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, 1903 Springfield, Miltech Firearms Sales Restoration and Service

These guys could maybe help you. I'm sure some of the c/r fans here will chime in too.

That being said, I shot a few diff rifles acouple of weeks ago.

Sporterized enfeild, a refurb 1903, a k98 mauser, two diff sks, and a jamomatic pos ar15. I was most accurate withe the 03, and hit a 900yd target with the mauser. If I could afford one, id snag an 03.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I would contact Springfield. I would think they would be able to give you accurate information about the rifle, and they may have suggestions on how to strengthen the chamber.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
I would contact Springfield. I would think they would be able to give you accurate information about the rifle, and they may have suggestions on how to strengthen the chamber.

Yeah...the Springfield Armory on that rifle and the Springfield Armory of today are not the same entity.

It's been sporterized...I wouldn't worry about shooting it. I wouldn't try and push a hot load through it, though.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Maybe check with the Civilian Marksmanship Program. They currently have some 1903's and 1903A1's in stock. They have both the early serials and the later shootable ones.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I remember some time back that SA the 1st was retreating 03s there should be what looks like a small punch mark on the front of the receiver where it was Rockwell tested. I'll research it and see if I can find out more. And if you want to sell it let me know.
lopper

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember some time back that SA the 1st was retreating 03s there should be what looks like a small punch mark on the front of the receiver where it was Rockwell tested. I'll research it and see if I can find out more. And if you want to sell it let me know.
lopper

I will check the receiver when I get home tonight to see. I have run the thought of selling it through my head a couple times but I seem to always come back to keeping it so thats what I decided to do. In all honesty what do you think the guns value is??

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Do some research but from what I know and can see, I don't think it would be entirely unsafe to shoot that rifle, with standard pressure 30-06 factory ammo.

The 03 receivers that shattered did so, mainly from high pressure "proof" loads and other faulty ammo choices.

I am pretty sure that any 03 that was re-barreled for WWII use, was probably inspected and "proofed" before it went overseas. By that time (1942) they knew very well about low numbered 03s and poor heat treating.

I would call the gunsmiths at the CMP to verify and describe your rifle.

My guess (...and its just a guess) is that you would be safe to shoot that sporter with normal pressure 30-06 ammo on a limited basis. I would stay FAR AWAY from hotter 30-06 loads altogether.

I have a sporterized 03 that my Dad built back in the mid 70s and it is a wonderful shooter that has taken I don't know how many deer and pigs over the years.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have an A1, A2, A3 sporter (regular hunting gun for 11 years now) and a smith & corona(sp) A4, factory ammo should be just fine in that rifle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts