Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want one for my XD40 SC but im afraid to mod. my carry gun for liability reasons.You know the lawyer may go after me saying i was toting a Hair Triggered gun,lookin for a gun fight type thing.What you guyd think?

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
i want one for my XD40 SC but im afraid to mod. my carry gun for liability reasons.You know the lawyer may go after me saying i was toting a Hair Triggered gun,lookin for a gun fight type thing.What you guyd think?
That's a highly debated myth. The whole myth about a hair trigger trigger really applies to law enforcement who often aim their pistols at a suspect even when there is not enough justification to shoot. That's when an accidental shooting can occur. For the regular citizen with a concealed carry license, this does not apply. We only draw when a shooting is justified. A carry gun can not and should not be unholstered unless the use of deadly force is justified. At that point, no one cares how much force you have to put on the trigger to fire it. At that point there's no "Oops! I didn't mean to shoot the guy that was about to inflict serious bodily injury or death on me."

I have a Powder River Precision trigger kit in my carry gun. So does my gf.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man.do you like yours? I want one because i feel like i could get a follow up shot off quicker with a shorter pull and reset.:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Using a Springer trigger bar does not give the pistol a "hair trigger". It does not lighten the pressure needed to pull the trigger. It simply reduces takeup and overtravel. The potential legal argument that you described is easily countered.

Consider the following, not just for legal reasons, but also for your own philosophy:

The right to carry a handgun also means the responsibility to use it safely. You want to hit only the threat at which your are aiming. A miss, even with no apparent "innocents" in sight, means the bullet continues its path beyond your target and has the potential to do harm to others and/or their property. Improved triggers, sights, etc. are all about controlling your firearm. Removing excess trigger travel makes it easier for you to place your shots more accurately. Making such a modification to your pistol is only a small part of the overall plan. That, combined with regular practice, and with mental and physical preparation, improves your ability to respond to a life threatening situation, in a controlled and responsible manner.

While I cannot guarantee that a jury would agree, I believe that to be a sane and reasonable mindset.

Oh, and yes, they considerably improve the trigger pull. You will need an aftermarket sear as well; it won't work with a stock one. - Sheff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts