Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, well I've had this beauty of a firearm for a week or so now, and still have not gotten to the range yet with her. This is my first 1911 and so I wanted it to be a beautiful yet functional gun which is why I went with the stainless. Now where I am having a few thoughts and questions is how hard will it be to maintain the finish without all kinds of scratches, and markings? I've done a fieldstrip while following the instructions very careful as to not mark the firearm in any way but I cant help but see that it is VERY easy to get light handling scratches on the finish. I make sure after handling it with clean hands mind you that I wipe it off with a microfiber cloth to lose the fingerprints etc and Im noticing that even while using a MF towel I am still seeing the handling scratches. Is this something that is normal that I will have to deal with, or is it something that I can do prevenative without having to send it back to be refinished once a year? I guess since it is not a planned carry or duty weapon and just a range gun that I want it to stay as pristine as possible. Thoughts? Any and all help is appreciated!

·
Registered
59 Posts
That is very common with stainless guns not sure how you would prevent it. I have a loaded exactly like yours the light marks went away after I had the whole gun bead blasted to a flat matte finish.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is very common with stainless guns not sure how you would prevent it. I have a loaded exactly like yours the light marks went away after I had the whole gun bead blasted to a flat matte finish.
Now I wonder, what does it look like now? that may be an option later on down the road if i decide to keep it. Do you happen to have a photo of the outcome? Id like to see it and thank you :cool:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
How bad are the scratches? I have been wanting a Springfield stainless Loaded 1911.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. Who did the bead blasting for you?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they aren't too bad, but its just agitating that just from lightly handling the firearm can churn out even the lightest of scratches. I'll be honest, Im somewhat anal about my toys and the condition they are in and well I'm beginning to think I made the wrong decision as it may not be able to stand up to my standards. I can understand scratches if setting it down on a hard table, or something of that nature, but not just by basic handling. I love the gun, and it is absolutely beautiful in my eyes and that may be what is upsetting me the most about the scratches.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I am that way also. That is disappointing to find out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I get back home I will post a photo for you, turned out very well and eliminated the issue. A local smith did it for $100 I sent him the stripped frame and slide, it is a glass bead blast. Looks great and has held up very well.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Now I wonder, what does it look like now? that may be an option later on down the road if i decide to keep it. Do you happen to have a photo of the outcome? Id like to see it and thank you :cool:
it will look sort of like this pic, it is bead blasted out of the box ------- and here's a pic I had taken that shows close up of finish.
I like it - no glare, no easy scratches.
---------------------------

·
Registered
244 Posts
Im planning on having my 9mm loaded bead blasted after a carry bevel treatment. Ive already made a few additions to it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looking good fellas.... Im still on the fence if I want to beadblast my loaded, or I may opt in a trade for a trp and go after a brother/sister trp pair of opposites. :) I still havent shot the gun yet, and I fear if I do, I wont want to sell it for the trp LOL

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I had my Loaded Black Stainless Target refinished in Nickel Teflon and the finish is holding up just fine, As of right now I only shoot it at the range. For CC I have my XD45C.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I like mint condition items as much as the next guy. That said, there is beauty in a well used, well maintained, gently worn/broken in tool as well. Heck, its a lot of money for a Loaded model - but not so much that it should be kept pristine like a presentation model.

Use it, love it, maintain it, don't abuse it, enjoy it, have fun with it, save up for another!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like you answered your question. Stainless model's scratch, noway around it. Just need to be careful. I myself treat them like a tool. Beat them like they owe me money. Once it starts looking like someone played shuffle board with it. I will send it out for a make over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts