Springfield XD Forum banner

Spring or plate for pins?

4K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Elbows 
#1 ·
So I cleaned my horribly dirty/rusty Yugo M70 today. While taking it apart, I lost the spring clip that holds in the pins that hold in the trigger group and the hammer. So, that's gone. I have a habit of doing that, I lost probably 4 detent pins when building my AR. Anyways, I put it back together to make sure everything functions, seems good.

Anyways, what works best? The retaining plate or the spring? About the same? My other idea is just some 5mm c-clips.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
There should be zero responses in this thread beyond the word "plate". $15 from a decent company, quick to remove/install, won't fail like a spring will (heat cycles in a spring will eventually break it after so many thousand rounds). Get the plate and never look back. No need to cheap out.
Agree with easy removal/install. Disagree with failure after thousands of rounds. What? How? Of all the springs on an AK, the retaining spring has the cushiest job of them all. Weakening due to rust maybe.

#12 ·
I made my Norinco 922 compliant 2-3 years ago by adding Ironwood Designs walnut stock, Tapco trigger group, and SAW grip. I thought then the shephard's hook spring was a pain, so I put in the e clips, I probable have a case of ammo through it with no problems. The clips are secure, cheap and easy to get in & out. How many times do you take apart your AK anyway?

Attachments

#13 ·
I made my Norinco 922 compliant 2-3 years ago ny adding Ironwood designs walnut stock, Tapco trigger group, and SAW grip. I thought then the shephard's hook spring was a pain, so I put in the e clips, I probable have a case of ammo through it with no problems. The clips are secure, cheap and easy to get in & out. How many times do you take apart your AK anyway?

That is a nice looking gun, how much did you pay for that stock set? And its black walnut correct?

#14 ·
Yes, it is Black Walnut. The cost if I remember correctly was about $120, maybe a little less. That is one of the MAK90 thumbhole AK's, and the new stock set & trigger group made all the difference in the world. I also threaded the barrel for a flash hider. I got it a trade for an FEG Hi Power clone, but didn't shoot it much because of the ugly uncomfortable stock, not it is a favorite!

Google Irownwood Designs, they make many different stock from different wood for most AK variants.

#15 ·
I made my Norinco 922 compliant 2-3 years ago by adding Ironwood Designs walnut stock, Tapco trigger group, and SAW grip. I thought then the shephard's hook spring was a pain, so I put in the e clips, I probable have a case of ammo through it with no problems. The clips are secure, cheap and easy to get in & out. How many times do you take apart your AK anyway?
I remove the trigger assembly about every 500 rounds or so (about 2-3 range trips). I shoot a lot of milsurp ammo with that red lacquer seal. Those things get into every nook and cranny behind the receiver.

#17 ·
I'm probably going to end up having to take the gun down more often that I would like until I run out of this surplus corrosive stuff. That being said, I'm going to call up Krebs tomorrow and hope they have a plate in stock. May as well start making upgrades.

#20 ·
Curious why it had to be ground to fit? That's a bit weird. One of mine takes a bit of finesse to slide in since I had the side-rail replaced with blank rivets, but the plates have simply fit into all of my Arsenals and Saigas. Either way you're good to go.
not all are the same. I had to fit some on NDC, GT, and ChiComs...

#23 ·
Hmmm...interesting. Just removing some material I assume?

Come to think of it I had one in my old Lancaster rifle, but it came with it like that - so I never bothered to see if it had been fitted.
There is a slight difference in FCG pin locations between all the receivers...I blame it on mm to inch conversions and US receivers being made on Monday or Friday...:p

#25 ·
There should be zero responses in this thread beyond the word "plate". $15 from a decent company, quick to remove/install, won't fail like a spring will (heat cycles in a spring will eventually break it after so many thousand rounds). Get the plate and never look back. No need to cheap out.

I agree with the plate! It's quick & easy to use.
But what "heat cycles" last time I put in a spring retainer it only flexed once when I slipped it under the hammer pin then over the trigger pin then slid the selector through the top loop.
That is not enough to cause any heat.
If yours breaks after so many thousand rounds you are doing something wrong.
I have had the E clips pop off, back when I first started building my own AKs that is why I don't use them anymore.

#26 ·
Springs in any firearm are the biggest inherent weakness (more so in an AR than an AK). If you run any rifle hot, constant extreme heat and subsequent cooling mean springs will the first thing to snap/break. Now with a braided heavy spring like the trigger spring in an AK this shouldn't ever realistically be a problem. Small springs like the tiny ones in ARs etc. are far more prone to breaking (the AR also gets much hotter inside due to the DI system).

Assuming you start with a fresh spring you'll probably never run into a problem in an AK, but its something to consider. It would be a LOT of shooting - but if you do a lot of classes etc., definitely something to think about. Springs will fail (common failure in handguns etc.).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.