Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am a new XD owner (XD-40 Tactical OD) and new to this forum as well. I have already learned a great deal from searching this site for the past couple months and would like to thank everyone for providing great information and entertainment!!

I do have one question, however. I live in North Dakota and have few opportunities to shoot in the winter. How long can I leave my magazine loaded for home defense, without fatiguing the magazine spring? I will certainly appreciate any information, opinions, and recommendations.

Thank You

·
Registered
875 Posts
From everything I have read leaving ammo in the mag will not stress the springs as much is emptying it repeatedly. I am no metalurgist so I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
If you have several magazines, you can rotate them out. Mark them 1, 2, 3,.... and switch them from loaded to unloaded on a regular basis. Not every week, but when you remember to do it.
The best way to know your mag springs are bad is when you start having problems with them. Hopefully it will be at the range and not in a critical moment :shock: Modern Guns and Ammo are very well made these days. Everything should last a long, long time if you do your part.

Good luck, shoot safe. :D

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
There are instances of 1911 magazines that were loaded since the 40's were inserted into a pistol and fired with no problem. A tribute to both the magazines and the ammo (and proper storage). As stated, springs "wear out" from the compression/decompression cycle. Magazines will take a "set" if stored compressed, but will not "wear out".
IMHO, don't worry about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts