Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to apply a clear coat of automotive spray paint? I figure if you get rid of ALL waxy, oily product from the outside of the slide, spray paint should stick, and that should prevent any rust. 3 or 4 coats of clear should be durable enough, right?

Also, why do people keep calling their XD bi-tones stainless? XD doesn't have any SS slides, the bi-tone is just a coloring.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have done some pretty cool paint jobs on my STI after I wore the finish off. The nice thing about the spray paint was that you could just blast it off with some carb cleaner. I guess that would be the down fall of spray paint is it dosen't stay on for long. Most solvents will take the paint right off.
The good news is Gun Kote comes in a clear finish, and it will last.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the replies. I found the $25 clear coat at this site, sounds like a good deal.
I think I'll try clear coating it myself first with the good ol' Krylon. I'm sure it wouldn't last as long as the pro job but it's much cheaper and would last alot longer than a coat of oil.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have used dupli-color high temp paint with ceramic in the paint to help with the heat with great results. I repainted the slide on my Bersa over a year ago and still no wear on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts