Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a "good" spotting scope for the range. Long range to 300 meters would definitely be the top end that I am taking shots at.

Any pointers at which spotting scope would be good?

All replies are appreciated.

UB

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I've used a Celestron 80 and a Konus 80mm both are very crisp and clean I have no trouble seeing .22 holes on paper a 100yrds I've never tried anything longer. I think 300 yds is quite a stretch for spotting .22 holes on paper. Below is my Celestron.

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used a Celestron 80 and a Konus 80mm both are very crisp and clean I have no trouble seeing .22 holes on paper a 100yrds I've never tried anything longer. I think 300 yds is quite a stretch for spotting .22 holes on paper.
I forgot to mention that I am shooting 7.62x51.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Some of the guys I shoot service rifle with shoot Garands, the holes do look much larger when spotting for those. I'll have to ask one of my shooting buddies that's gone to the full distance matches.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I bought a Burris for my father in law. It's a nice scope and you can get one with slightly higher magnification for less. Resolution is very good out to 1000+ yards. I like it - wish I had one myself.

joe

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a Burris for my father in law. It's a nice scope and you can get one with slightly higher magnification for less. Resolution is very good out to 1000+ yards. I like it - wish I had one myself.

joe
Joe, Do you remember what the model number was?

UB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check PlanetOptics.com and look at the Konus 80mm or 100mm. Their prices are hard to beat. I use the 80mm for NRA Highpower matches and have no problem finding .223 holes at 300 yrds. The 45' angle eyepiece makes it much easier to use especially if you are shooting from prone.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Another vote for the 80 mm Konus spotting scopes. But if you are doing 300 yard shooting you may want to go for the 100 MM.

I got one for my daughter about 3 or 4 years ago. She was having trouble seeing her hits on the target with a .22 at 100 yards using a cheap 50MM scope.

I searched around and the Konus seemed like the best value.

She loves hers and several other kids in our club have gotten them as well.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Hey UB...if you don't mind me asking, what is your budget? (don't worry...I'm not selling anything) :)

You can go all out with some really clear, precision optics like the Zeiss, Leica APO, and Swarovski if the "sky's the limit," or you can compromise on an still excellent scope for the middle range, or you can go low end which may serve your needs out to 300. At a minimum, for spotting .30 cal holes at 300, I'd say you want: 1) at least 30x on the high end of the magnification (more may be better); 2) get an angled eyepiece for ease of viewing; and 3) get at least an 80mm objective for better light transmission.

The Konus is not a bad scope for around $250 and may work well for you, but the one's that I have looked through have a slight "hue" around the outside edges of the scope that bugged the crap out of me, as well as color resolution that was not a clear as other scopes in the same price range.

If you want an excellent scope for less than $500 with tons of accessories included, try the Vortex Skyline 20-60x80. I have bought several scopes from Eagle Optics and always recieved excellent products an service:

Eagle Optics - Vortex Skyline 20-60x80 Angled Spotting Scope

Also, the Vortex comes with the scope and zoom eyepiece, a tabletop tripod, view-through case, lens covers and a lifetime warranty. For $429.00 shipped to your house...it is a hard scope to beat.

If you want to go high-end, any of the Leica Televid APO 20-60x80 angled, the Zeiss Diascope 20-60x85 and the Swarovski ATS HD 20-60x80 are the top of their game.

My current spotter is a Pentax ED Angled 20-60x80 scope. It has won several awards for optical clarity and resolution and praise from birding and shooting organizations. It is what I would class as a mid-to-high range scope that you can get complete with body, eyepiece, view-through case, etc. for around $1,100 I think (mine is about three years old and prices aren't what they used to be I'm sure).

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I am surprised Buck, you seem to have more knowledge than most! In any case, the mistake I made was not getting one powerful enough. I should have gotten a veriable 20-60x60mm Or even bigger. I seen a russian made one in CTD or maybe Sportman's guide. I kick myself in the butt for not doing it!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
UB,

It was the Landmark 15-45x60. This scope might not be sufficient for you, but you can step up to the 20-60x80 for around $250 or less (IIRC).

I'm not saying Burris is the highest quality spotting scope - but for those of us who have limited budgets for these sorts of things, you can't do much better (at least as far as I'm aware).

I got it at OpticsPlanet.com.

joe

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I got one made by Winchester for $99 at Big 5. Works great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts