Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member question, don't know if this is the right section or now but, I live in PA I have a CCL but I've been hearing people talk about a Sportsman permit that allows people to carry. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the Sportsman and the CCL ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See this confuses me though.... So does that mean I can carry my handgun while archery hunting? Or does it mean that I can only carry the handgun if I'm hunting with the handgun?

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
See this confuses me though.... So does that mean I can carry my handgun while archery hunting? Or does it mean that I can only carry the handgun if I'm hunting with the handgun?
Did you read the thread? Your questions were answered.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The issuances of a Sportsman’s Firearm Permit allows the individual to carry a firearm if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers, fishing or training dogs, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers, fish, or train dogs during the regular training season, or returning from such places.
Reads to me as if yes you can carry your handgun while bow hunting or on the way to go bowhunting.

As always play it safe and call your local state police and inquire if you're not completely sure.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Sounds like florida. Without a permit, anyone (not prohibited from possessing, of course) can open or concealed carry while target shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, or going to and from these activities.

Of course.. A big percent of the cops don't know these laws. But what else is new?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like florida. Without a permit, anyone (not prohibited from possessing, of course) can open or concealed carry while target shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, or going to and from these activities.

Of course.. A big percent of the cops don't know these laws. But what else is new?

That's a good point, I did call the State Police and ask the question, I was told I cannot carry it during archery, however the written guidelines say I can, at least that's the way it looks as it's written. So which one is right? Lol

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
That's a good point, I did call the State Police and ask the question, I was told I cannot carry it during archery, however the written guidelines say I can, at least that's the way it looks as it's written. So which one is right? Lol
The legislation is right, assuming you are reading it right.

Don't expect cops to know the law. Just don't. That's the first problem. So many of them don't, so you roll the dice with every encounter.

If you are stopped or threatened with arrest by an officer, do whatever the officer says, but ask for him to call his supervisor, and offer to show him the statute.

You know what they say, and it's horribly sad and speaks volumes about the low standards we have set for peace officers, but it's true. You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well if anyone is interested I finally go this straightened out. To make a long story short here is the bottom line.
You CAN carry it on you loaded in the car if you are going to or from your hunting spot ONLY.
In order to carry ANY type of handgun during archery you must have a LTC-Concealed Carry permit.
The biggest thing that they do not really clarify is this one. The only handgun you can carry is one that is legal to hunt with like a revolver, so if you planned on packing an XD you're out of luck.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Good idea.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I think you made the right choice. Get it and be done with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts