Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a Sporterized Mauser 6.5x55 Swede. It seems like it would be good for deer hunting. I need to get some ammunition for it and I wondered if the FMJ or the Soft Point would be better. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I would think either one would be OK. I would say the soft point would do more damage. Anything over 100 yards and I would say FMJ, but, thats just a guess. I wonder how hard it is to find ammo for that? I inherited a 1909 Argentine Mauser and converted it to 308, but, its too heavy to carrying around. I wanted to get into long distance shooting.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None of the local stores carry the ammo, but the three places I buy ammo online all have it, cheaperthandirt.com, midwayusa.com, and aimsurplus.com.

That's a great looking rifle!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Thanks, I picked up a Douglas XX barrel, Bold trigger adjusted to 1lb 11oz and a SWFA super sniper 10x42. All work and parts was less than 1k and it will hold its own with much more expensive guns. Mausers are awesome.

·
Registered
29,596 Posts
I would think either one would be OK. I would say the soft point would do more damage. Anything over 100 yards and I would say FMJ, but, thats just a guess. I wonder how hard it is to find ammo for that? I inherited a 1909 Argentine Mauser and converted it to 308, but, its too heavy to carrying around. I wanted to get into long distance shooting.
Your guess is a bad one.

FMJ's are never a good choice for hunting, and not legal to hunt with in many states (expanding bullets required).

140gr SP's in 6.5x55 are excellent game getters; in Scandanavian countries, the round is often used to take moose.

Any decently stocked gun store should have 6.5 Swede on hand; if not, it's also fairly easy to find online.

·
Registered
19,690 Posts
Your guess is a bad one.

FMJ's are never a good choice for hunting, and not legal to hunt with in many states (expanding bullets required).

140gr SP's in 6.5x55 are excellent game getters; in Scandanavian countries, the round is often used to take moose.

Any decently stocked gun store should have 6.5 Swede on hand; if not, it's also fairly easy to find online.
honestly, I don't think it would matter. seams like every deer I shoot, I hit bone. the bone then fragments causing much more damage to soft tissue than the bullet does.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Your guess is a bad one.

Well it is up to the OP to know his/her state laws. I am just going by what I used to do when I was hunting, which I admit has been quite a while ago. We used both types back then. Some areas we hunted were sometimes 600 yard shots.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I did some looking online last night only to find that I won't be able to use this rifle for any type of hunting in my great state. I guess there is a rifle season in the southern part of the state but its limited to straight wall pistol type rounds.

Sounds like its going to be a "Hunting Expedition" for me...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Wow. I did not know that. Have always heard about the huge deer and great hunting in Iowa. Mostly from outfitter television shows of course. Guess that would be a good place to use my dad's Ruger .44 magnum carbine.

Funny how state laws vary. I couldn't use that Ruger in PA because its a semiauto. Also ammo must expand on impact, no FMJ allowed.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Like that in IN, no rifles. I'm not sure about the southern part of the state. It's just too flat around here, too much "know your target and what's behind it" for our overlords to trust us with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts