Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody carry their XD on their sportbike motorcycle (crotch rocket for you geezers)?

I have a lockable rear cowl on my GSX-R750 and the XD Service would fit there fairly easily. I would just have to wrap it in something to keep it from rattling around and hitting my fuel-injection computer. I could put it inside the tank bag in this picture, but it would take up too much space and be too easy for someone to grab.

One of my shooting buddies has a Harley with lockable hard bags – nice.

I would guess that motorcyclists should never carry on their person while riding. The thought of sliding/tumbling down the road at 70mph might stress a holster.

Tom

·
Registered
345 Posts
Tom,

I'd strongly suggest you not carry in your cowl/trunk space. If you're running an undertail, the gun could even fall out(I've seen many MC trunks and you wouldn't believe what people do!).

If I were you and rode with my tank bag, I'd put it in there and take the tank bag wherever I went as long as the gun was in there..

BTW, Gixxer750 in black/red/silver.. DROOL! Is that an 01?

I've owned a katana 6, 97 TLS, and a 99 TLR. Still have a GS500E, but need something with a lil pull :lol:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vtwin said:
Tom,
I'd strongly suggest you not carry in your cowl/trunk space. If you're running an undertail, the gun could even fall out(I've seen many MC trunks and you wouldn't believe what people do!).

If I were you and rode with my tank bag, I'd put it in there and take the tank bag wherever I went as long as the gun was in there..
BTW, Gixxer750 in black/red/silver.. DROOL! Is that an 01?
I've owned a katana 6, 97 TLS, and a 99 TLR. Still have a GS500E, but need something with a lil pull :lol:
Wow, good guess. It's an '01 with a little over 23K miles. Our local Honda Sport Touring Association club is great!

Tom

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Tom,

I carry frequently when riding my Daytona 955i. If it is not on my hip, it is in a LifeJacket in my tankbag. Lifejacket qualifies as a locked case and is small enough to allow carrying the weapon in the tank bag along w/ lunch, maps, and a camera and towel.

·
Registered
370 Posts
personally if i had a ccw i would carry it on me. if your tumbling at 70 mph i think you got bigger fish to fry than worryin about your gun falling out of your holster.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aiformula said:
Tom,

I carry frequently when riding my Daytona 955i. If it is not on my hip, it is in a LifeJacket in my tankbag. Lifejacket qualifies as a locked case and is small enough to allow carrying the weapon in the tank bag along w/ lunch, maps, and a camera and towel.
Is that one of those YELLOW Daytona 955i? Great bike! Several guys in the club have various Triumph models.

Great idea to use a Lifejacket. I found the website:

http://www.defensedevices.com/lifejacket-gun-locks.html

Tom

·
Registered
345 Posts
NewXD40fun said:
Wow, good guess. It's an '01 with a little over 23K miles. Our local Honda Sport Touring Association club is great!

Tom
LOL, it wasn't really a guess... I've loved that year and color scheme 7fity! I'm probably more into bike than most Joe Schomes that think they're into bikes... If there was money in bikes, I'd be all about it! 8)

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vtwin said:
NewXD40fun said:

Tom
LOL, it wasn't really a guess... I've loved that year and color scheme 7fity! I'm probably more into bike than most Joe Schomes that think they're into bikes... If there was money in bikes, I'd be all about it! 8)
Then you may have heard about the Cleveland Brown Kellen Winslow Jr. crash on a '05 gixxer 750! He crashed while practicing stunts in a private company's parking lot about 2 miles from my house! Another idiot who makes us all look bad.

Tom

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
nickc50310 said:
if your tumbling at 70 mph i think you got bigger fish to fry than worryin about your gun falling out of your holster.
I'm inclined to agree. Though I don't think it's the falling out thats a problem, it's landing on it causing more broken bones than necessary. But I carry on my person when riding Gixxer 750t as well. Depending where I'm going, I either carry with my normal holster or with a shoulder rig if I don't plan to take off my jacket.

(The blue one in the foreground)

·
Registered
27 Posts
as suggested, the issue with carrying while riding is not messing up the equipment, it's breaking a hip.

given that carrying is generally done out of a concern for one's own wellbeing, a great deal of thought on the matter is indicated.

i'll freely admit to not knowing all that much about motorcycles (just not my thing), but i have seen pictures of a holster/lock that bolts to the handlebars (or front of the bike generally). depending on the locking mechanism, this could be satisfactory for both securing the gun while riding, and having it available in case of need. whether or not this would work on most bikes, i have no idea. it's got QUITE a look to it, though ;)

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oldmantod said:
ahhh the good ole days... good times.. good times...
Hey Tom, how did you find the board??
T
Found you guys in an Internet search.

Check out my shoot'in buddy's Harley/gun/ammo carrier leaving Turn One (my driveway).

Note: My favorite cars I used to own; 1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 1971 Plymouth Duster 340.

Tom

·
Registered
345 Posts
NewXD40fun said:
Then you may have heard about the Cleveland Brown Kellen Winslow Jr. crash on a '05 gixxer 750! He crashed while practicing stunts in a private company's parking lot about 2 miles from my house! Another idiot who makes us all look bad.

Tom
Ya, what a moron! I wish Darwin had more power! :lol: I can't believe he sacracificed his contract to ride a damn bike...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Heritage Softtail.. nice....

Sept 24th Stonewall is having a gig where they are giving away 6 door prizes, the entry is free, stop down there sometime and get your entry...

1st prize is one of Baretta 87, glock 26, XD40, S&W 99,S&W 686...

I try to avoid that place for shooting, but there are times to go during the day when it is less crowded (I work from home, so I can make time)..

Shoot well and keep the hairy side up and shiny side down..

T

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oldmantod said:
Heritage Softtail.. nice....
Sept 24th Stonewall is having a gig where they are giving away 6 door prizes, the entry is free, stop down there sometime and get your entry...

1st prize is one of Baretta 87, glock 26, XD40, S&W 99,S&W 686...

I try to avoid that place for shooting, but there are times to go during the day when it is less crowded (I work from home, so I can make time)..

Shoot well and keep the hairy side up and shiny side down..
T
Thanks for the tip, I think I'll ride the gix out there tomorrow to check it out. Boy it's nice being retired!

Tom

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
NewXD40fun said:
aiformula said:
Tom,

Is that one of those YELLOW Daytona 955i? Great bike! Several guys in the club have various Triumph models.

Great idea to use a Lifejacket. I found the website:

http://www.defensedevices.com/lifejacket-gun-locks.html

Tom
No, it is one of those slightly more rare and much more beautifuler BLUE models w/ the slightly less beautiful but more rare double side swing arm (2002 model only)

oh hell. lets muddle it up w/ a pic. ;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
i carry my xd9sc in my aerostich fanny pack. according to ohio laws, a person can carry concealed in their vehicle if it's in a locked case. the instructor, a former ham co s/o officer and current range instructor, specifically addressed this as it relates to motorcyclists, and advised it is the common interpretation that motorcyclists with CCW can carry in a bag/pack as long as it's locked. another way to carry concealed legally in a vehicle is in a holster that is clearly visible. obviously this isn't the answer for motorcyclists, dispatch would be getting calls all the time if cagers saw us riding around town with a gun on our hip. so i put on a fanny pack when i ride, put in my xd9sc, cell phone, and cash. in one of my aerostich pockets i keep my drivers license and ccw card. that way i don't need to get to my gun in order to show my license.

i tried carrying (yes, i know, illegally, but it was just to experiment) in one of those thunderwear-style concealed "holsters" that fits in your crotch. that wasn't happenin' with my riding posture. i don't know that i'd want to carry anywhere close to my body, a getoff would be all the more painful having something that hard right next to my ribs/hip/whatever.

dean
cincinnati
xd40 service
xd9sc
92 yamaha fj1200 exABS--"the velvet sledgehammer"

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
oldmantod said:
I ride exposed all the time on my motorcycle
T
Don't you get windburn?!?!?! :twisted: