Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was taking a pistol class and we had the opportunity to use a law enforcement simulator. I'm starting to reconsider my xds capacity.

Thoughts on carrying 8 rounds?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair question and I should have elaborated. When shooting bullseye and silhouette targets I am a pretty good shot.

The simulation that I went thru was an office shooting scenario. Two gunmen.

While I managed to stay alive in the simulation, it took about 10 shots to bring both guys down. Apparently with adrenalin, I'm a horrible shot and bad guys don't always go down with the first hit. I hit each of them twice so I had six misses. Four due to them taking cover and two were just bad shots.

I guess the simulation just got me thinking that depending on the situation I might find myself in, I might really wish I had 15 rounds in my magazine.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
How many times do you plan on missing? Your accuracy will suffer more in a real life encounter. This equates to your target killing you and/or you hitting an innocent bystander.

An extra magazine or two should do it. Not for extra rounds but in case of a magazine malfunction.

Whenever I get a chance, I perform sprints to the line then shoot. This helps simulate shooting while pumped with adrenaline.

Id advise you to get professional instruction. Your basic technique need an assessment and tweaking. Then practice and master the basics.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I am not a cop. I am not pursuing bad guys in situations like those simulations portray. I see my weapon as a starter pistol in my race to safety.

However, we cannot always choose our ideal gunfight. (there was a thread titled "my gunfight" a year or so ago.) We all have to decide what is right for our own situation. For me it may be a pocket .380 with 5 plus one. For you it could be two Glock 17s and 6 extended magazines.

kypix

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
More importantly, train, train a lot, become so familiar with your EDC that you disassemble it and reassemble it blind folded.
Then train more on situational awareness. Not having to draw is the best defense ever. Not being where bad things happen goes a long way to self preservation.
But be ready when bad things find their way into good places. Have an exit. Have a plan. This is not paranoia, it's not being a name in the paper....

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Ur in Wyoming. I would expect all of your fellow restaurant patrons to unload their hoglegs at the bad guys. No need for an extra mag when the whole place is armed.
Nice that you get the use of a simulator. Interesting experience. thanks for the post.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I recently switched over to a G19 for my most-of-the-time carry, with a spare 17 mag, mostly for the Increased capacity.

Reactions: WyoGirl

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How many times do you plan on missing? Your accuracy will suffer more in a real life encounter. This equates to your target killing you and/or you hitting an innocent bystander.

An extra magazine or two should do it. Not for extra rounds but in case of a magazine malfunction.

Whenever I get a chance, I perform sprints to the line then shoot. This helps simulate shooting while pumped with adrenaline.

Id advise you to get professional instruction. Your basic technique need an assessment and tweaking. Then practice and master the basics.
Sprinting to the line very well may give you an adrenalin rush but it doesn't give you a moving target who is firing back. Aside from a simulator, the only other way to practice that is live action play with air soft or paint ball.

I was given one of the hardest simulations in the class because my target shooting was accurate and consistent. Yes, I need practice on a regular basis. We all do.

My main point is multiple attackers who don't go down with the first hit.

Our instructor said in defense situations even the most trained people don't have the time to line up the sights. It more often than not becomes the metal over meat technique.

I was so sure of my ability because of how long I've been shooting and my accuracy at the range. It was an enlightening experience that makes me want to get into the live action air soft games to enhance my skill set. I also want to take hand to hand combat classes.

I read the "my gun fight" thread and I agree 100%. In reality, I wouldn't engage if I didn't have to. I had to in the simulation. In reality, I'm looking for a way out, not a way to engage unless I need to.

I guess the whole thing just opened my eyes and I'll be taking steps to improve my training and increase my accuracy under pressure.

Reactions: go4soda

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
While most involved in a "gunfight" don't have time to line up their sights, I remember a saying a friend told me; "Front sight, Front sight, Front sight". Meaning if you can get the front sight on the BG, you should, at the very least, hit him/her.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe I'm using the whole experience as an excuse to buy yet another gun and maybe a rail light for my home defense gun and a..... In photography forums we call it GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
GAS, i like it!

As far as capacity, i think more is always better than less, but im not gonna go marching around on a daily basis carrying 3 spare mags on my person.

With the xds or my 938 i always carry a spare. With my xdm i sometimes do not.

You have to decide what your happy medium is, any is always better than none!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We've bought 2 HK's & 2 XD's in the last 2 months. So I feel like I need justification to buy another this soon. And that's just the pistol count.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In general, no. But his head was presented and the rest of him covered in the simulation.

·
Premium Member
128,172 Posts
Accuracy always trumps speed! Just watch the opening of "Gunsmoke" if you doubt that.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Without actually watching you drill, it's impossible to see what, if anything you're doing wrong. Maybe you're just shooting too fast? Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Get your weapon at the ready as fast as possible, then take your sweet time aiming. This is how I was trained when facing multiple attackers:
1) Sidestep while drawing.
2) Put one round in the first guy.
3) Double tab the second guy.
4) Shoot the first guy again.
5) Continue sidestepping and repeat 2-4 as needed.
The sidestep forces them to adjust their aim, giving you time to engage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts