Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Gotta question, i usually shoot Federal Hydrashocks and Remington Gold Sabers for practice for when i CCW in .40 S&W

I've been reading about the Gold dots and how people like them... well WOW are these +P or something because they are snappy as hell!?!?

Mind that i shoot the Federal and Remy very well.

-TD 581S

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
It is my understanding that Speer GOLD DOT are available in P and +P ... The box should say which ones you have. If it doesn't ... They are probably standard loads ... Which would be (P).

·
Registered
29,679 Posts
There is no such thing as .40 S&W +P. The standard cartridge is already at the maximum safe pressure...

Are you shooting a heavier bullet--say, 180 grn Gold Dot vs 155 or 165 Hydra-shok/Golden Sabre?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Hey everyone,

Gotta question, i usually shoot Federal Hydrashocks and Remington Gold Sabers for practice for when i CCW in .40 S&W

I've been reading about the Gold dots and how people like them... well WOW are these +P or something because they are snappy as hell!?!?

Mind that i shoot the Federal and Remy very well.

-TD 581S
Wow, you either have a pocket full of money or you don't shoot much if you are shooting premium def. ammo for practice. As to recoil, make sure you are shooting like bullet wts. The 40 is loaded in many diff. wts. 155, 165, 180.
Most shooters will practice w/ sim. wt. FMJ bulk ammo & then carry premium JHP for SD/HD. As long as bullet wts are the same, you should have sim. felt recoil & point of aim/impact.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Wow, you either have a pocket full of money or you don't shoot much if you are shooting premium def. ammo for practice. As to recoil, make sure you are shooting like bullet wts. The 40 is loaded in many diff. wts. 155, 165, 180.
Most shooters will practice w/ sim. wt. FMJ bulk ammo & then carry premium JHP for SD/HD. As long as bullet wts are the same, you should have sim. felt recoil & point of aim/impact.
I practice quite a bit with my SD rounds...can't say I'm made of money.

Only an extra $100/1000 if you know where to look.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
There is no such thing as .40 S&W +P. The standard cartridge is already at the maximum safe pressure...

Are you shooting a heavier bullet--say, 180 grn Gold Dot vs 155 or 165 Hydra-shok/Golden Sabre?
OOPS ... I forgot ... We're talking about a wimpy 10mm that is called a .40 :p

·
Registered
29,679 Posts
kB waiting to happen. I personally love their disclaimer--basically, it amounts to "if it blows up your pistol, it's your fault for using our dangerously overpressure ammo--you should have known better".

There are bad ideas, and really bad ideas. This falls into the latter category.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I practice quite a bit with my SD rounds...can't say I'm made of money.

Only an extra $100/1000 if you know where to look.
Well, for me $100/1000 is quite a bit more, it's one reason I reload. Once you know your pistol will feed SD ammo, then practice w/ like wt./vel. ammo & save some money. If you only shoot 1000rds a year, then no big deal.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
kB waiting to happen. I personally love their disclaimer--basically, it amounts to "if it blows up your pistol, it's your fault for using our dangerously overpressure ammo--you should have known better".

There are bad ideas, and really bad ideas. This falls into the latter category.

Maybe in a Glock...there's plenty of other handguns and carbines out there that will handle it without a problem.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are all 165gr, no marking on the Gold Dot box for P+ just .40 S&W 165gr it just surprised me when i shot them...

With my Fed and Remy i shoot good 10 shot 4" groups at 15yrds consistently... BUT
with the Gold Dot its more like a 10" groups cuz they feel REALLY snappy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts