Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any truth behind a less than 4" barrel not having enough velocity to expand these? Just want to make sure before wasting to much money on testing this round as my EDC ammo. Have read a few places about this issue and decided to check in here for some opinions.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I have shot alot of these in the past. All I can say is that when I fired them from a P226 they would expand more agressive than from the P225 and G26 I had at the time. They always expanded though.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
It should perfrom...however, heavier loads tend to work better out of shorter barrels.

You may want to look at a 147gr standard pressure load.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After making this post I have also read that they make this round in a short barrel version. Anyone have any experience with that type?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I haven't found a premium JHP +P load that won't expand in shorter bbls. I shoot the BH 124gr+P XTP load in my G26, makes 1220fps, expands quite nicely thank you. SO does the 124grRGS+P load, although it drops below 1175fps. The BH load almost makes carrying the 357sig in that platform pointless, almost.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Speer is a proven expanding round in just about any barrel length. I carry Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +p Short Barrel or Lawman 124. gr in my XD9SC (3") daily.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've chronographed the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P out of my Sig P239, 3.6" barrel, a couple of times, with different lots of ammo. Velocities averaged 1169 - 1186 fps. This was all the standard stuff, not SB. This should be enough!

The specified MV is 1220 fps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts