Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sc .40 with a 3" barrel. Speer has these "short barrel" rounds out and I was wondering if anybody has tested them yet. Do they really make a difference out of the subcompact? Any advice or experience with your current subcompact ammunition would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Welcome to the forum Plinko!
The XDsc is what those sweet little short barrels are made for! In other words; you've got the self-defense team in your hand.
That bullet will blossom upon entry and rip and tear it's way through ten inches of tissue, organs and might even take out a bone or two in its travels.
Take three 1 gallon water jugs out to the range or out to the country. line the 3 jugs up on a table or some sort of rest so that you can shoot them from five yards (three yards will get wet from the explosion of the first jug). You will be able to retrieve your blossomed projectile from the third jug that might be leaking from the back side as well. The bad guy will retain the lead, and if it is not surgically removed and the organ damage is not repaired, he'll soon take the eternal dirt nap.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
+1. The Speer GD SB rounds are a perfect match for the XDsc. As long as they shoot well for you in terms of manageable recoil, accuracy, etc., I would load/carry them in my XDsc without a single hesitation.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I have a sc .40 with a 3" barrel. Speer has these "short barrel" rounds out and I was wondering if anybody has tested them yet. Do they really make a difference out of the subcompact? Any advice or experience with your current subcompact ammunition would be greatly appreciated.
The "difference" is the bullet is designed to expand at a lower vel. The are loaded to a slightly lower vel. than std. GD, about 50fps. THis again is the vel. the GDSBHP is designed for. If the function well in your pistol, no reason to not use them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have any of you guys used Corbon DPX with the milk jugs? Should I get away from these and try the short barrels? It's pretty hard for me to get out to the country to try this myself so I have to rely on all of you guys here. I go to an indoor range so it is impossible to tell. If the short barrels will expand better than the Corbons out of the subcompact then that's what I want.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I don't understand why it would be so difficult to get out of Akron, you have got Interstates running North and South. as well as, East and West! :0
I don't have any DPX on hand to test for you, if I did, I would! It's just fun!
Talk with some of the other people at the range, maybe even the RO on duty, they might give you a suggestion as to where to go to try this out. You might even make a friend or two that has the same questions and might help on your research.
Meanwhile, read the following sites and maybe that'll get you even more motivated.

The Box O' Truth #10 - The Water Box O' Truth - Page 1
The Box O' Truth #27 - Little Guns vs. The Box O'Truth #2 - Page 1

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
They were one of the rounds that my Kahr P9 fed completely reliably...then I sold it a month or so after I discovered them!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Edubya...thank you for the mapquest info. Physically, yes, I can drive out to the country on the interstates. I was referring to the lack of places that I could set up milkjugs. You would really have to go far south to a public hunting area but I'm not running back into the woods with a bunch of full milkjugs and my handgun. Thank you for the info though.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Corbon DPX provide excellent expansion out of a SC but they are so expensive I haven't been able to shoot enough to develop confidence in their performance.

Second best expanders for me are HST +p 147 gr. These are what I carry since the price is reasonable, letting me shoot a few rounds at every practice session.

GD +p Short Barrel performed well but I was a little disappointed with the expansion although I wouldn't hesitate to carry them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts