Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$uploadfromtaptalk1404411761578.jpg $uploadfromtaptalk1404411772964.jpg
Just installed my new biometric Speedvault ....It really works as advertised & was a simple install / set up

XDS-9 4.0 Bi Tone CMR 201 Laser

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the info ....I never heard of problems with the biometric....im new to the forum so only have a few posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats a relief. .....how long have you had it ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've got an MVB500 I snatched up cheap because someone dropped it, damaging a power wire. 7min later I have a $200 biometric for $50. It's been great for the past couple months. I tested it upwards of 300 times without a failure.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
thank you for the info ....I never heard of problems with the biometric....im new to the forum so only have a few posts

We own and operate a commercial construction company. Due to non-disclosure agreements, I can't name names, but chances are you have flown in our customers aircraft, run their software, purchased books from them on line, and looked up property and driving directions with their software. We have been involved in establishing some very, very, high security environments.

I have asked every single locksmith/security firm we work with their recommendations for gun safes. Without exception, they all said to go mechanical, stay away from electronics. I have heard of many dozens of electronic locks failing, I have knowledge of only one quality mechanical lock failure (without abuse/sabotage). A couple of the guys I spoke to told me that to get an electronic or biometric lock good enough to be reliable on a gun safe, you are looking at about $4,000.00 per lock. I respect their opinion.

Just my $0.02, take it for what it's worth (probably less that $0.02 :) )

Welcome to the forum! I think you will find it educational and entertaining.

Best wishes

EDIT: If you do go electronic/biometric, please make sure you can get into the safe with a key in the event of a failure.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We own and operate a commercial construction company. Due to non-disclosure agreements, I can't name names, but chances are you have flown in our customers aircraft, run their software, purchased books from them on line, and looked up property and driving directions with their software. We have been involved in establishing some very, very, high security environments.

I have asked every single locksmith/security firm we work with their recommendations for gun safes. Without exception, they all said to go mechanical, stay away from electronics. I have heard of many dozens of electronic locks failing, I have knowledge of only one quality mechanical lock failure (without abuse/sabotage). A couple of the guys I spoke to told me that to get an electronic or biometric lock good enough to be reliable on a gun safe, you are looking at about $4,000.00 per lock. I respect their opinion.

Just my $0.02, take it for what it's worth (probably less that $0.02 :) )

Welcome to the forum! I think you will find it educational and entertaining.

Best wishes
Very true, the "consumer grade" biometrics are definitely not something to depend on opening in a high stress situation or to expect a lifetime of service from. I merely got it because it was inexpensive, easy to keep my kids out, and pretty convenient to open. It has a mechanical backup which works great as well so whenever my electronics die I'll keep it around as a standard lockbox. I only have 2 handguns so a true safe is a little much for me yet but it's definitely on my mind to get something and it will surely have a mechanical lock.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for that info.....yes thankfuly it does have a key back up and I have my long gun mechanical safe a few inches away... I hope it holds up !

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have this by my bed. Don't really have 100% confidence, but my CCW is either on me or by the side of me, so at night time it stays on the nightstand anyway.

It hasn't let me down...yet...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a ig long gun safe but I got tis because the wife is not a fan of a nightstand or drawer gun .....so this was a compromise

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I liked the drop & ready vertical version better than the rectangular. .....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats a nice safe shiny things.....any problems with it ?

XDS-9 4.0 - HK P30s - SIG SCORPION 1911

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
the speedvault doesnt have a backup mechanical lock?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes it does... its like a mailbox key

XDS-9 4.0 - HK P30s - SIG SCORPION 1911

1 - 18 of 18 Posts