Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are some ways to speed up my xd?
easy ways and gunsmith options for higher performance and accuracy.

any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
968 Posts
A good set of sights, I can't stand 3-dot sights, and lots of trigger time will get you there faster than anything else.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
The only thing you need to buy is ammo for practice.

If you want to do some modifications you could look at doing a trigger kit (Powder River or Springer Precision) and adding a solid guide rod (Don's or Wolff) and then determining what spring weight works best for you.

EDIT: Your signature lists a 9mm compact...there is no such thing. Do you have a Subcompact (3") or a Service (4")?

·
Premium Member
127,080 Posts
The only thing you need to buy is ammo for practice.

+1 to that statement. IMO facility with a hangun is 90 percent skill and 10 percent equipment. I'm certainly an advocate for good sights, trigger, etc., but nothing replaces lots of practice. I regularly see guys with $500 guns beat those with $3000 guns.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Powder River kit.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I would think the gun is plenty fast. Mine shoots as fast as I can pull the trigger. What is the purpose of the pistol?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so as of now i have:

trigger work
guide rod

and i got one so i could punch paper.

so these are the only things i can do do increase my firearms abilites?

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
so these are the only things i can do do increase my firearms abilites?
Like I said earlier. Your money is best spend on ammo. A master class shooter can pick up you stock XD and so some amazing things with it. Will they benefit from some enhancements or customizations?...Sure. But they have the fundamental skills. I don't think you are going to be "out-shooting" your XD any time soon...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Join a club and start shooting competition. Shooters are a great group of folks willing to help a newbie, they have certainly helped me. Watch the best shooters and ask questions of them.
When you reach a plateau, offer to buy lunch for one of the guys in exchange for a few pointers. Read some of Brian Enos books on shooting.

Shoot as much as possible and dry fire when you can't.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Read a bunch, shoot a bunch, dryfire a bunch. Shooting faster but less accurate has no benefit. The point is to shoot as fast as you can see that front sight on target. ;-)

One equipment upgrade that helped me was a Dawson Fiber Optic front sight... that helped a lot. It's pretty easy to see a glowing red dot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
yes, i do understand shooting alot will get me to a certain point.
but i am no stranger to shooting been punching paper for a while with my 1911 and want cheaper in volume practice than 45 offers me.

what i am new to, is the xd,
what can i do to make this the best possible gun that it can be?

·
Registered
79 Posts
yes, i do understand shooting alot will get me to a certain point.
but i am no stranger to shooting been punching paper for a while with my 1911 and want cheaper in volume practice than 45 offers me.

what i am new to is the xd,
what can i do to make this the best possible gun that it can be?
Your gun is as good as any other on the market. Sights and trigger work are the only mods you need to get started.

If you're still not satisfied with the answers, you're going to have to be more specific as to what you want. There are many disciplines in the shooting world. Plinking, hunting, self defense, competitive shooting etc.

Here are some thoughts to determine what you want.

Target shooting...focus on accuracy
Self Defense
Becoming a mercenary
Becoming a swat team member
Speed Shooting....speed first, accuracy second.

The gunsmith items have been reviewed. Trigger job and sights

What you do has also been defined.
Practice live fire and dry fire. (Dry fire is the cheap way to accuracy. You learn trigger control which eliminates flinching which improves accuracy.) Live fire takes your dry fire practice to the range.
Shoot in competition
Read books on shooting. Most have "drills" to improve your shooting
Take a class at your local club or range
Ask advice from an experienced shooter.
Take a training class..... Gunsite or Front Sight

Take "the" magic pill. Instruction, training, practice, compete.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Guide Rod, Sights and Triger Kit should be top of the list. I added a slip on hogue grip cuz I liked the way it felt, and a cheap polymer mag well to not only serve as a mag well, but to keep the slip on grip in its place and my pinky from getting pinched by the magazine :)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
My setup is Dawson Fiber Optic and I just got trigger job from Scott last week. Been shooting the competitions for over a year with the stock setup and was 4 seconds shy of EX my second time classifying after being away for 7 months.

I'm excited to see what happens next month.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you dnm for that reply, nice p shooter ndb

as for the purpose of my pistol, i want it to shoot better than the other guys regardless of who's hand its in or what they are doing.

as it is right now i am going to use this as a carry pistol/range gun.
until i find out if this is going to be a member of the family or just another one going in the safe.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Two pound triggers aren't usually recommended for a carry pistol.

Check option lists at Canyon Creek and Springer Precision sites.

Any GM would cream me no matter the pistol disparity!

If your XD is brand new, it will shoot better after about 600 rounds.

I will add ammo is very important. If you don't reload and want the best call Atlanta Arms & Ammo.

·
Registered
79 Posts
thank you dnm for that reply, nice p shooter ndb

as for the purpose of my pistol, i want it to shoot better than the other guys regardless of who's hand its in or what they are doing.

as it is right now i am going to use this as a carry pistol/range gun.
until i find out if this is going to be a member of the family or just another one going in the safe.
So.....if it's going to be a carry pistol, keep the trigger job around 3 lbs or above. That keeps the adrenaline from pulling the trigger before you really want it. In an emergency situation, most people are only half as good as they've trained to be.

Join a club and shoot IDPA. There, you'll have to learn how to draw from concealment and shoot. You'll learn reload techniques and shooting from cover and concealment. Next, take a class at Gunsite or Front Sight, you'll learn all about protecting yourself with your pistol. Just because you're carrying, doesn't mean you know what to do, when and how. If the courses are beyond your budget, there are plenty of good books available.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
are their any clubs or IDPA in northwestern PA since i keep hearing about them?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts