Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'ts been six weeks since I applied for my renewal. Just talked to the Circuit Court Clerk's office and apparently the judge hasn't signed off on it yet.

Don't hold your breath in Virginia.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What date was it received by the clerk? They only have 45 days.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
September 12th. I guess they figure 45 "court" days. I must have marked my calendar wrong, it's only been 43 calendar days. LOL

·
Registered
194 Posts
September 12th. I guess they figure 45 "court" days. I must have marked my calendar wrong, it's only been 43 calendar days. LOL
Calendar days is what you go by, not business days. They have to respond to you by Thursday. If not, call and demand your permit.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah here in WA they have 30 days to issue the permit, in my case it only took two weeks but it all depends on what county and how busy they are during that time. I've seen a buddy go in and twenty mins later it had his. Some places will wait til day 29 to process it and the mail it out the next day as it has to be post marked by day 30. They called me and asked if i wanted to pick mine up and i said yes will be there on 15 lol

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I got mine in 2 weeks, but that was 3 years ago.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Got mine in 2 weeks in Loudoun county VA, but I was told each county varies alot.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's always taken the full 45 days for me in VA except when I lived in Roanoke City. For whatever reason they tried to put me off saying they needed to fill out a full sheet of permits before they issued any. I nixed that BS and demanded they sign it and that I would be there to pick it up the next day. The clerk was very apologetic; have no idea why they tried that or what was going on.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was mistaken again. The actual date I submitted was Sept. 9th., so Oct. 24 would have been 45 days.

First time it was "...judge hasn't signed off on it yet." This time she says "We haven't gotten them back from the police department. We've been e-mailing them and they say they are bringing us several hundred, but I don't know when. Call me back at the end of the week if you haven't heard from us by then."

So, what do you do when they've totally ignored State law/regulations?

·
Banned
185 Posts
I'ts been six weeks since I applied for my renewal. Just talked to the Circuit Court Clerk's office and apparently the judge hasn't signed off on it yet.

Don't hold your breath in Virginia.

I received mine in 3 weeks in Chesterfield, VA.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
On the advice from a member of Virginia Citizen's Defense League, I'm contacting the Commonwealth Attorney's Office (Ken Cuccinelli) and the Clerk of the Commonwealth Supreme Court, tomorrow.

And probably contact the NRA-ILA, of which, I'm a member.

Maybe even the ACLU!

It's a beotch when ya gotta keep the law and the lawyers in line. LOL

·
Registered
66 Posts
Report it to the VCDL and the join the same if you already haven't. That wait beyond the law's specifications is just BS.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wouldn't you know? I had no sooner hit the send button on an e-mail to the VCDL when my wife called to tell me there was a message on the answering machine that my CHP was ready to be picked up.

I have it and life is good. However, I still think someone needs to look into the reasons for these kind of delays in my area. If we're required to jump through certain hoops and meet certain criteria, then those who require it should be held accountable to meet their sworn responsibilities.

·
Registered
30,302 Posts
If we're required to jump through certain hoops and meet certain criteria, then those who require it should be held accountable to meet their sworn responsibilities.
I agree, if you call this number : 217-782-7980, you get a message sayin g "due to a high volume of applications, it is currently taking 56 days to process FOID cards". By law they have to do it in 30

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife and I got ours from New Kent Circuit Court, VA in 15 days. :)

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Your current permit remains in effect unless you waited till the last minute. You should probably print out this from the VA state police website and take it to the clerk.

Virginia State Police - Resident Concealed Handgun Permits

If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts