Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a line a 1950s era Garand. Seems to have all matching Springfield Armory parts. It is pretty beat up however. The barrel forward of the handguards is nice and shiny i.e. no finish at all, the stock is total beater, though the action and bore look good. I have no way of checking with a gauge. This doesn't appear to be a CMP gun though It could be one from way back. I can get it for $600 which seems to much to me but it's been a long time since I looked at them. Might be a good candidate for restoration.

Yeah or neah?

And yes I know I can get one from the CMP.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Obviously I can't see it but that doesn't sound too bad. They have certainly been getting expensive. Doesn't sound like a steal but not robbery either.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Well IMO CMP does set the price. Going only from your discription I would say 600 is a little high but not out of line.

ITEM # DESCRIPTION PRICE RM1FIELD M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available field grade rifle. See above for Field Grade description. Rifle shipped in CMP hard rifle case.
$595
Delivery time –3-9 months from placing order
S&H $29.95 per rifle

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well IMO CMP does set the price. Going only from your discription I would say 600 is a little high but not out of line.

ITEM # DESCRIPTION PRICE RM1FIELD M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available field grade rifle. See above for Field Grade description. Rifle shipped in CMP hard rifle case.
$595
Delivery time –3-9 months from placing order
S&H $29.95 per rifle
Probably never going to see another "field grade" from the CMP.

I am going back to look at it next week and check some more parts. Maybe offer something less. For some reason Garands never did much for me. I've shot them, admire the history but never really had a desire for one. This would be more as an investment.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
JMO, at that price I believe a better investment for a quick return would be AKs or budget ARs. if I have the money when I see them, I don't turn down cheap decent AKs. Not only do I believe there will be another spike in prices, I would not be surprised if high capacity magazine type weapons are eventually against the law or much more difficult to get. I have AKs that I have never even shot. JMO

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JMO, at that price I believe a better investment for a quick return would be AKs or budget ARs. if I have the money when I see them, I don't turn down cheap decent AKs. Not only do I believe there will be another spike in prices, I would not be surprised if high capacity magazine type weapons are eventually against the law or much more difficult to get. I have AKs that I have never even shot. JMO
Well, there really is no comparison between an AK/AR and a Garand. One buys a Garand for a completely different reason than those others. There is a glut of AKs/ARs in the market. There will never be any more Garands.

I also disagree about "eventually against the law" thing. The trend is that those guns are becoming less regulated and even the DemocRats have stopped whining about them except in a few places. As long as we keep the pressure on them we will be good to go in the future.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
No doubt on the Garand. I want one but not for an investment but for the reasons you list.

As for the other, we are one Sandy Hook away from the next fire. Regardless of laws that will or won't he changed, the push will be on and so will the next price spike. That Garand will definitely continue to go up in value. It will never spike. JMO.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would look at the Field Grade Garand that the CMP has for sale now for that price. It is the luck of the draw for a Springfield or an HRA. Maybe even pony up a bit more for a Service Grade?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I'm still waiting on my HRA Service Grade M1 from CMP. Hopefully it'll be coming in soon. Seems the stock is getting really low at CMP based on the fact they can't promise what manufacturer you'll get anymore. Shame we can't import more from Korea thanks to our genius president...:x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts