Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am looking at ammo for my 308. Being somewhat cheap, I was looking at Soft point ammo, being that it costs less. However, I was wondering, performance wise, is it worth the money to buy polymer tipped ammo. I was looking at Hornady interlock SP vs Nosler Trophy Grade Accubond, both in 165 gr. Thanks

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I switched from SP to ballistic tip. The soft points are just that -- soft. They get buggered up pretty easy and that can't help accuracy any. Why carry a $600 gun with a $400 scope while wearing $500 of hunting garb and paying $25 for a tag then try to save 11 cents on a round?

·
Registered
29,893 Posts
Depends on the application.

Deer hunting in northern MN woods, with a 200 yard shot your max range? The soft points will be fine.

Going out west, and trying to make 400yd+ shots on antelope? The BT may be a better choice, if your rifle like's em.

ETA--and if you want a good tipped bullet...Barnes TTSX (Barnes Vor-TX). Usually about $30-35 for twenty...not that much more expensive than powerpoints or cor-lokt.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ended up going back to Hornady 150gr SST, they were the first ammo I shot through the Savage and they worked well. I was wanting a heavier bullet, but decided that with the accuracy I get from the SST, I'll be fine. also picked up a box of A-Max Match ammo, just for fun

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
AS Cuda notes, depends on what you are ttrying to do. Target work, obviously the bullet nose being plastic or soft lead doesn't matter. For hunting, the over all design of the bullet matters more than the tip/nose. Accuracy for hunting is only part of the equation. The bullet has to have good terminal performance when it gets to the animal. The Sierra MK is superbly accurate but a poor perfromer on larger game animals. So it just depends. I don;t care for the SST in a close range hunting round. I find the bullet fragments & may or may not reach vitals on larger deer size game from a poor angle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts