Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had it down to a crossbreed. However, after doing some reading on the site it appears there are 2 other holsters that some have said are just as good or better.

Comp-Tac and another called Kohlster.

Anybody on this site have opinions on this? I am not a flip flopper or indecisive by any means. But, I just can't seem to make a damn decision on a holster. I guess because it's an important piece of gear and not like ordering dinner off the menu.

I have a Compact XDm 40. The main thing I don't want to do is wait 6-7 weeks. However, if one is a lot better then the other I guess I can wait. It just seems that several people have posted here as of late that the Comp-Tac is far better.

Opinions from any of you that can help me decide once and for all?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Comp-Tac is a locally owned one here in Houston and our gun club is full of their fanboys. They are good kydex holsters. They are getting their share of fanboys for their leather+kydex offerings as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
With the cross breed your paying for the name.Ive seen alot of reviews, and most who have bought the cross breed , then purchesed the Kolster like the kolster better and yes its made in the god old usa.The man makes it for your gun, and its guernteed for life even if you modify it.What you need to understand is they mount on your waste band, so you need a little more room, other wise if you like tight pants.forget both of them.There both from leather and kydex.The kolster comes with metal clips, the cb.you can get with metal orplasticclips.myself I prefer metal.The other major difference is the price.Why pay more when you can pay $50.00 for the other that's 50.00 to your door.Its a no brainer.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the cross breed your paying for the name.Ive seen alot of reviews, and most who have bought the cross breed , then purchesed the Kolster like the kolster better and yes its made in the god old usa.The man makes it for your gun, and its guernteed for life even if you modify it.What you need to understand is they mount on your waste band, so you need a little more room, other wise if you like tight pants.forget both of them.There both from leather and kydex.The kolster comes with metal clips, the cb.you can get with metal orplasticclips.myself I prefer metal.The other major difference is the price.Why pay more when you can pay $50.00 for the other that's 50.00 to your door.Its a no brainer.

Ok thanks, and how does the kolster compare to the comp-tac?

·
Registered
353 Posts
At this point I would look at the items. I have never seen a Kholster before till 3 min ago:

Some Comp-Tac M tac holsters:

and to be fair CBST:

Just on looks alone, the comp-tac looks like they work their leather more. again, this is coming from a guy that doesnt know about leather or kydex or anything. I only know what my initial impressions are. The Kholster looks like a round slab of leather with generic holes and done. I want a holster to become a part of me, my movements and my clothing. Large slab O'leather doesnt seem impressive to me.

To confuse you even more, here is the leather and kydex holster that many seem to like as well:

This is a Tucker Gun Leather holster known as "The Answer".
I cant say anything about any of the products shown because I dont own any. I do however have a Tucker Texas Heritage all leather holster and am very pleased with it. I found it on the rack at my local store so I dont have to worry about wait times or anything.

I would suggest calling ahead to any of the manufacturers and get an idea of what you are spending your money on.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you picked and how you like it when you get it!

·
Registered
827 Posts

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At this point I would look at the items. I have never seen a Kholster before till 3 min ago:

Some Comp-Tac M tac holsters:

and to be fair CBST:

Just on looks alone, the comp-tac looks like they work their leather more. again, this is coming from a guy that doesnt know about leather or kydex or anything. I only know what my initial impressions are. The Kholster looks like a round slab of leather with generic holes and done. I want a holster to become a part of me, my movements and my clothing. Large slab O'leather doesnt seem impressive to me.

To confuse you even more, here is the leather and kydex holster that many seem to like as well:

This is a Tucker Gun Leather holster known as "The Answer".
I cant say anything about any of the products shown because I dont own any. I do however have a Tucker Texas Heritage all leather holster and am very pleased with it. I found it on the rack at my local store so I dont have to worry about wait times or anything.

I would suggest calling ahead to any of the manufacturers and get an idea of what you are spending your money on.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you picked and how you like it when you get it!

Wow thanks for that buddy.

I think the good thing about Comp Tac is the interchangeable kydex without having to buy a whole new holster.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think the good thing about Comp Tac is the interchangeable kydex without having to buy a whole new holster.
im in the same boat as you looking for a CCW holster and was really thinking about a Crossbreed....after looking at the Comp Tac on their site and saw you could change the bodies out for other gun makes thats the thing that sold it for me

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
827 Posts
Do a Review and post some pics of it if you buy one.

Stay Safe.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone have the gun belt that Comp-Tac makes that is lined with kydex? Saw it on their website while looking at holsters and was wondering as to the comfort of that.

Also, the Minotaur MTAC is made of cowhide and I don't think there is a horsehide option. From reading on here it appears horsehide is better if wearing in hotter climates. Anybody have opinions on this. I just want to make the most informed purchase since this isn't cheap relatively speaking.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hmm.. I live in Houston so I can say I know about hot climates. I dont think the difference in the leather will be anything worth noting. From my reading, the horsehide is thinner and does not absorb water as much. I wear my gun all day, every day and often am in the car sweating a bit and I have not had any issue with my cowhide. As I think about it, the water on the leather issue is more of how it will lose its shape if its molded (if I am not mistaken). All the holsters you are considering seem to be pretty much a slab or leather with a molded kydex holster part. I dont think that will be an issue for you.

As for belts, I found bullhidebelts.com and couldnt be happier. I am pretty picky when it comes to belts and wanted something substantial. I found their bullhide belts to be very thick (about as thick as a AAA battery) and holds up great. I also use this belt daily and wear it with everything from my dress slacks and jeans to casual shorts.

This is 1 solid piece of leather. Not 2 parts stiched or glued together. 1 crazy thick strap. Very happy with this belt. Cost me about $55 shipped. Awesome customer service. They sell from $49-$59 per belt from their website.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm.. I live in Houston so I can say I know about hot climates. I dont think the difference in the leather will be anything worth noting. From my reading, the horsehide is thinner and does not absorb water as much. I wear my gun all day, every day and often am in the car sweating a bit and I have not had any issue with my cowhide. As I think about it, the water on the leather issue is more of how it will lose its shape if its molded (if I am not mistaken). All the holsters you are considering seem to be pretty much a slab or leather with a molded kydex holster part. I dont think that will be an issue for you.

As for belts, I found bullhidebelts.com and couldnt be happier. I am pretty picky when it comes to belts and wanted something substantial. I found their bullhide belts to be very thick (about as thick as a AAA battery) and holds up great. I also use this belt daily and wear it with everything from my dress slacks and jeans to casual shorts.

This is 1 solid piece of leather. Not 2 parts stiched or glued together. 1 crazy thick strap. Very happy with this belt. Cost me about $55 shipped. Awesome customer service. They sell from $49-$59 per belt from their website.
Wow, I really appreciate that detailed response. Exactly what I was looking for. I will check those belts out for sure. I guess the cowhide/horsehide issue is really over hyped.

I am considering a holster from this site that another member on this site told me about. Looks pretty good in my opinion. A lot of members on glocktalk have them and have very positive reviews.

Theisholsters.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a Crossbreed, and a number of Kholsters (which I picked up during their various sales). Both are nice. The fit and finish on the Crossbreed is much better, but I figure the darn thing is hidden. Yes, the Kholster has a load of extra leather on it, but a small sharp knife lets you chop it down to what you want (there are many photo shoots and videos of 'combat cuts' for example).

One thing I do when ordering a Kholster is ask for the rough side of the leather to be out. I prefer the extra friction against my body rather than their standard of putting it towards the firearm...they've never complained or had an issue doing that for me. To try one, I'd say wait for a sales, or ask around for a 'rebate code' (you get 10% off, and the person providing the rebate gets 25% off their next order). I could probably dig one up if you need it, but I'm making my own holsters lately so probably won't be ordering any time soon, so I'd let someone else take advantage.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Those Kholsters look fugly, hot, and uncomfortable.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am going to JUMP!!!!! God I feel like im on the highdive and keep walking to the end and then walking back to the ladder.

For some reason or another I now think I'm leaning toward the Comp Tac Minotaur MTAC Holster. I know it's $85 but you can buy other kydex and switch them out. I also like the tension screws on the holster.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
The most important factor for comfort is the part that goes against your body. Rough out leather will scratch, but will breath better than smooth out (which will cause you to sweat more). Tucker's suede back will be the most comfortable. Garrett has a suede back also.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts