Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my mosin. Got all super excited and. Out me a 440 surplus can. Got a military can and put aaallllll my rounds in it nice and neat. Packed up... went to the range.... and can't shoot my freaking ammo at either one of my local outdoor ranges. It turns out I bought "steel core" or ap rounds. Can't shoot that stuff at my local ranges because they are on US forest service land and I can't shoot it because it can spark and start a fire. Now what? I'm trying to figure out how I can unload this stuff and make most if not all my money back so I can buy the right ammo this time. And I dunno if there are any restrictions on shipping ammo nationwide or if I should just box it up and keep my mouth shut with a BUNCH of fragile and caution stickers on it.

Any ideas guys.

Therr is one place I can shoot it, but its out in the desert and into nothing. I don't really care to do that.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Store it.
If the S ever hits the fan OR you decide to go on a trip where you could shoot it, there u go.

Thats what I would do with it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Can't you set up your own targets out in the Desert? That would be easier than trying to get rid of the ammo...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Can't you set up your own targets out in the Desert? That would be easier than trying to get rid of the ammo...
+1
a hammer, 2 stakes, a marker and some paper and there u go.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Do not ship it without doing it the proper way. You dont wanna end up in serious trouble. I would just keep it as stockpile in case of SHTF.
+1

Steel tipped semi-armor piercing big boolits always come in handy!

·
Registered
90 Posts
+1 to keeping it. I've got 500 rounds of SHTF stuffed in the closet.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I bought some chicom 7.62x54R back in the early 90s that was made for the PKM. It has a 160 grain steel core and this stuff is HOT, even to x54R standards.

I got it for $40.00 per 440 round spamcan. BIIIIG booms and it penetrates some pretty thick steel...

Keep it. Might come in handy some day.....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm.... didnt think about keeping it for some shtf or traveling. I was looking to move out of state.... maybe ill just hang onto it and buy another can or stuff I can shoot out here. It was only a hundred bucks shipped....

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I bet you could sell it relatively easily, even locally.

How did they know that your ammo is steel-core? Did they put a magnet on the bullet and it stuck? If so, the bullet may not actually be steel-core . . . it might just have a bi-metal jacket, which means that there's a steel jacket under the copper jacket. Either way, they won't let you shoot it.

BUT . . . I just say this so that when you go shopping for "good" ammo, don't buy something just because it says "lead core." It may still have a steel jacket, and they still won't let you shoot it.

I know the Yugo 7.62x54R doesn't have any steel in it. Other than that . . . I'm guessing that most or all of the rest of the surplus ammo has steel in the bullet. Does anyone know?

You can buy commercial ammo or reload your own . . . but that's damned expensive compared to shooting surplus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts