Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, first I'm new to the forums so hi.

I have been creeping about for a few days now, but this is my first post.

I have my CCW and I'm getting the XD9sc as a carry gun and since it will be my first handgun i would like to use it for target shooting, (cuz i like to shoot it and cuz I want it to feel natural in my hand if (Lord forbid) i had to draw it.). So i think i'm going to order it from PRP seen lots of good reports from them here and they have an ok price.

I'm having PRP do the carry trigger mod on it.

My questions for you guys are
1. does this all sound smart so far?

2. anything else i should think about, Mods/gear? (btw i'm on a very limited budget)

3. any holster recommendations? (I have one in mind from my local shop, a SOB/LS/RS, but some ppl say stay away from SOB, I stand and walk a lot for work, but also bend over some, i wear a jacket a lot so have thought about shoulder holster but idk. (not a big fan of belly belt or most front holsters))

4. Flash light, Laser, OR Night Sights? (only one option for now, again, budget,) your recommendation and why you think its better then the others.

5. Any and all (non flamey) advice welcome...

Thanks
∞KZBoy

·
Registered
54 Posts
I dont know if this helps but from what I have heard/read on here and talking to others around.....they all have said to keep the stock trigger on your carry gun and if you want a gun you mainly use for the range then mod that one. As far as a laser if your going to carry and you have a laser on the rail it will make it bigger and harder to conceal.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Forget any mods or lights, the gun is good to go. Use that $ for ammo and training. Lots better off in the long run.
Crossbreed Super Tuck. I did the combat cut horse hide and love it. I have the J clips on it now and it does shift during the day but only a little. I wear it at 4:00 position and never had to increase pants size. A tee shirt over the top is all I need.

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
I have left my XD9mmSC with stock trigger, since its my carry gun

Welcome to the forum from Colorado

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I would agree with the others and say it's perfect out of the box. I love mine and carry it all the time. I use a Don Humme leather OWB holster but the Supertuck sounds like a solid plan to me.

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
As others have said gun, holster, lots of ammo and if possable training.
I carry a stock XD9sc.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hey, first I'm new to the forums so hi.

I have been creeping about for a few days now, but this is my first post.

I have my CCW and I'm getting the XD9sc as a carry gun and since it will be my first handgun i would like to use it for target shooting, (cuz i like to shoot it and cuz I want it to feel natural in my hand if (Lord forbid) i had to draw it.). So i think i'm going to order it from PRP seen lots of good reports from them here and they have an ok price.

I'm having PRP do the carry trigger mod on it.

My questions for you guys are
1. does this all sound smart so far? Don't worry about sounding smart. If there is something you don't know, and it may sound stupid to you, ask anyways. It's better to know and get it right, then to do something wrong.

2. anything else i should think about, Mods/gear? (btw i'm on a very limited budget) Forget the mods for now. Get used to the gun.

3. any holster recommendations? (I have one in mind from my local shop, a SOB/LS/RS, but some ppl say stay away from SOB, I stand and walk a lot for work, but also bend over some, i wear a jacket a lot so have thought about shoulder holster but idk. (not a big fan of belly belt or most front holsters)) Go to your local gun shop and ask the clerk what he recommends, then try it on and see how it feels. They get this question more than any of us do, and there you will actually be able to try it before you buy it.

4. Flash light, Laser, OR Night Sights? (only one option for now, again, budget,) your recommendation and why you think its better then the others. I personally have the night sights on my XD9sc, because I still want to be able to see my sights in the dark. I don't have lasers or flashlights because those can become a target for intruders... Some people disagree, but that's opinion.

5. Any and all (non flamey) advice welcome... The best advice I can give, is buy the gun, buy some ammo, and get out and shoot as much as you possibly can. Once the gun is "broken in" it will feel like second nature to you. Enjoy the XD!

Thanks
∞KZBoy

First, welcome to the forum! second, see my comments in red above.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Sorry, but I always have a problem with people on the street with no experience AND a CCW.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
i have an xd40sc and i love the way it rides in my crossbreed supertuck (5:30 position). make sure you get a gun belt with it though. first and foremost i would say to get some ammo and practice. also, make sure you run some of the ammo you plan on carrying in the gun through it before you trust your life to it- that would the last time you want to find out that your gun is fussy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've had my XD9SC for about 3 years now and love it. It's fine the way it is and I wouldn't mess with it at all until you've put at least 1000 round through it and then rethink it.

For myself, I'm thinking of making some "mods", but they are really only those things that would add some of the nice features of the XDM line without going to a new pistol, and besides, there is no XDM equivilant to the XD9SC in size.
So changing out the trigger assembly to the SpringerPrecision parts would lessen the travel and the pull weight of the trigger, but only to that of the stock XDM pistols. That is not a "scary" mod by any means.
Additionally, changing out the stock slide release to the extended release would give you better authority with less hand juggling when releasing the slide lock, and changing out the mag release for an extended release would make it easier to change mags without shifting your hand.
None of these three changes are radical, and their sum total only brings your XD9SC up to XDM standards, but on this great little SubCompact XD9 that takes the little mags or the full size mags.

Also as was mentioned in passing by someone earlier, do not think that you are "qualified" to carry just because you passed a simple shooting test.
Take some tactical lessons, and then take it one step further and try competing in some of the IDPA events just for fun even if you may not be competitive enough to catch a trophy.
If you're going to carry, training means a lot. Just do it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the XD-9sc and recently just got the XD-40sc and i love them both the 9 was my first EDC and I have for a year now but my 40 took it's place I have 2 Adams Holsters 1 IWB "Texas" and 1 OWB "Crossroads" both are VERY comfortable and both ride high and tight there also leather which I prefer over kydex or plastic holsters I also got a belt from them too it is kydex enforced also VERY comfortable here is there site Luke is AWESOME and and his work is TOP SHELF and there customer service is like no other I highly recommend them to everyone

http://adamsholsters.com

·
Registered
245 Posts
I got a xd9sc and its great gun out of the case. I found it to shoot very accurately at 25yards also it has lighter recoil then my xd9service. For a carry/occasional target practice gun stock trigger is fine. The only mods i would opt for is a Pearce grip pinky rest and the decal grip tape.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a XD9sc, which used to be my favorite gun. I carry mine in a comptac MTAC, and it's a GREAT combo. Plus it doesn't hurt having 13+1 rounds of 9mm with you. I also have the M&P9c, M&P45c, G19, hk USP9 compact, HK45c, and USP45 compact, and kel tec pf9 and LCP as my carry guns. The LCP and kel tec are easier to carry, but aren't "range" guns so you won't want to shoot them much. The G19 and M&P9c feel lighter and carry a little easier for me. The xd feels kinda heavy and bulky, but the MTAC makes it easily manageable so as long as you have a good holster its fine. I tried it in some other holsters and it didn't work for me, but I liked the MTAC so much, I bought either that or a CTAC for my other guns... I also have an infedel which I like a lot.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Going to join right in with the others. Do nothing to the pistol if your going to carry it. Give yourself a chance to grow with owning and carrying a gun before you do anything. I carry a completely stock XD9sc and never felt the need to do anything more to it, because it's already a very good safe,reliable, point and shoot, SD pistol straight from the factory. As far as lasers there great for target shooting where you have time to aim but I sure wouldn't rely on one or anything with a battery where every 100th of a second counts in a SHTF situation.
Training and practice,practice,pratice, will be your best spent dollar.
Welcome and happy shooting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know NOBODY that does not REALLY like their Crossbreed SuperTuck and if you want to avoid having a drawer full of holsters then get one and be done with it. DeSantis makes a clonish copy I think. I use a DM Bullard Dual Carry with its optional ways to attach and wear it. IW...Ow...etc., very comfortable for me at the 3:00-3:30 position. I like leather holsters period. The only exception are pocket pistol holsters. I "occasionally" pocket carry my XDsc9 in a DeSantis SuperFly. No joke. Deep pocketed summer shorts makes this manageable for me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts