Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I posted on here a few months ago about my XD45 Tactical; I actually sold it a few months ago (hard times abroad), after putting over 5,300 rounds through it -- without a jam :mrgreen: -- for $450. I think the guy got a good deal since he got 7 mags and a box of Ranger Ts with it. I got MY use out of it!

Anywho, I am about to sell my only firearm to a buddy in the Armed Forces since it is a little bit ungainly for daily car carry (It's an 18" Tromix-converted Saiga-12 semi-auto shotgun) and I need the money to help pay for the odds and ends on a "new" car I purchased. I hate to part with it as it is an awesome weapon and makes me an instant range celebrity everywhere I go, but it's evil, black, intoxicating assault-weapon-ness drives me to desire unsafe, potentially deadly behavior, like magdumping off the roofs of buildings downtown and laughing hysterically.

Being that I will have some funds left over, I planned on snagging one of the new XDM-9s. I planned on waiting until they came out with one in .45, but 19+1 capacity and 9mm ammo prices are reeling me in. That and I'm confident enough in my skills now that I feel 9mm would bring down a would-be attacker just as quickly and effectively as a .45, given the right defensive cartridge. Not to mention it ought to be a little easier for a 120lb guy like myself to qualify on the Texas CCW course with a little 9mm rather than a big .45. Not to say I was anything less than a crack shot with the .45 :cool:

I have yet to check at my local Cabela's for availability, as I keep driving by and forgetting I have business there. I'm probably going to call ahead sometime this week to make sure they've got them in before I go fondle one. I got to handle the XDM40 at Bass Pro, but their silly gun locks prevented me from getting a taste of the trigger break. I've been meaning to ask you folks if any of you have had a chance to take one out and shoot it now that they're finally hitting the market, and if you've had previous experience with an XD how it compared to the new XDM. I am a huge nut when it comes to reliability, and if the gun is going to jam at any time between post break-in period (200 rounds) and 2,000 rounds, I am apt to sell it and buy another gun. If you fresh XDM9 owners have had failures of any kind, I'd like to hear about it and the circumstances surrounding said jam(s).

I also thought it wouldn't hurt to ask what you 9mm folks carry as your daily defensive cartridge. I used Federal Bonded 230gr JHP +Ps and Winchester RA45TPs in my .45, and I figured I would have no problem handling the recoil of a 9mm +P or +P+. Thing is, all the ballistics reports I've read on the high-pressure cartridges shows them to have diminished penetration capability. Being that heavy clothing (in some rare cases) is enough to stop a 9mm or render it ineffective, I want to ensure that the round I'm carrying will be enough to stop with one shot. From my research, Federal 147gr NON +P Hydra-Shoks and Winchester RA9TA 127gr (+P+) are the best of the two extremes. I also noted good results from the Ranger T 147g (non +P). I'm aware Speer and Hornady make some damn good cartridges, but I've always done my best to stay within the bounds of the Springfield Manual: factory ammunition (Winchester and Federal) only.

What's your take, crowd?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was a really good read, DP. I got a lot of good info out of it. However, it still failed to address my dilemna between non +P and +P/+P+ 9mm rounds. The guy seems to be pretty biased toward the .45, much like I have been since I started shooting and researching ballistics. However, I'm aware that 9mm still kills BGs every day so I'm willing to give it a chance. What I'm most interested in is penetration; is there a reliable +P or +P+ round out there that consistently shows the same or better penetration than a normal-pressure load?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts