Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, First things first. You guy, and this site rock. After learning about the XD about 2 months ago, this site has helped me learn more about them than anything else I could find. Thank you, you have helped me make the decision to make the XD9 my first gun.(After 4 years of convincing my wife :roll: )

A friend of mine took me to the range for the first time about a week ago. I was instantly hooked. I have alway been into firearm, knives, anything technical and have finally got to the point where I can afford to enjoy it a little. I applied for my FOID card about two weeks ago, which brings me to the second part, keeping me sane while I wait. I have about two weeks and am dying to know what the XD feels like. At the range I have shot my friends sig p225 9mm, and a rented Kimber 45acp( :mrgreen: ) I need some more details to hold me over until I can get the chance to hold/shoot one. What does the trigger pull feel like, how does it sound, how heavy is it, anything a person could want to know about the gun. I wish I could express how excited/intrigued I am. Thank you for all the information, hope I am able to contibute soon.

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
513 Posts
Welcome. I first got my XD 40 a little over a year ago and have had no problems. You will get alot of responses as to a 9mm or 40S&W, it's your call. There are pro's and con's as with all decisions.

The XD has the grip angle of a 1911 (Kimber) the disassembly of a Sig and a trigger similar to a Glock. The XD is single action only. The trigger is good, IMO, and has a reset so you don't have to let it all the way forward before shooting again. I think that you will be pleased with the purchase and overall function of the XD. Don't get to caught up into the customization of it as it is just fine from the factory. Don's guide rod, Lots of ammo and some spare mags are nice. Good luck and keep us posted. I'm sure others will have much better input than I.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I *highly* recommend you rent as many guns as you can before buying. Shoot at least 100 rounds through each. You will be more accurate with some handguns than others.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Heck, I met up with several people from this forum here in Houston and was able to shoot an XD40 Service, XD9 Service with Don's Guide Rod and Spring combo and an XD9 SC with a lot of work done to it.

IT WAS AWESOME!! Definitely got me hooked!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The trigger will feel a bit different than either of the guns you mentioned; it won't feel as heavy as the first shot on the Sig (assuming you start hammer down or every shot if it's a DAO) and it will be a bit heavier than the Kimber (atleast compared to my Kimber). The XD doesn't feel to me to me as though the trigger has as much "dead space" in the trigger pull for the follow-up SA shots as the DA/SA Sig (or Beretta and others with DA/SA actions). Like the Kimber, however, every trigger pull should have the same feel.

Another difference you may have already noticed is that there is no hammer on the XD like the Sig and Kimber so there is no way to "drop the hammer" (or striker in this instance) on a live round without setting it off. The only way to do it is to unload it by both removing the magazine and clearing the chamber, so you can pull the trigger to decock it. All I would say is, like with any gun, shoot it and get very comfortable with it and how it works. Many guns like the ones you mentioned function a little differently and should be understood to operate them safely.

You made a good choice of gun though so you're off to a good start. Now you just need to get out of the Nazi gun state of IL. :)
I'm from IL myself, but now live in MO...unfortunately, I fear to say, Illinoisans will never see CCW. Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
ledefoot529 said:
Ok, First things first. You guy, and this site rock. After learning about the XD about 2 months ago, this site has helped me learn more about them than anything else I could find. Thank you, you have helped me make the decision to make the XD9 my first gun.(After 4 years of convincing my wife :roll: )

A friend of mine took me to the range for the first time about a week ago. I was instantly hooked. I have alway been into firearm, knives, anything technical and have finally got to the point where I can afford to enjoy it a little. I applied for my FOID card about two weeks ago, which brings me to the second part, keeping me sane while I wait. I have about two weeks and am dying to know what the XD feels like. At the range I have shot my friends sig p225 9mm, and a rented Kimber 45acp( :mrgreen: ) I need some more details to hold me over until I can get the chance to hold/shoot one. What does the trigger pull feel like, how does it sound, how heavy is it, anything a person could want to know about the gun. I wish I could express how excited/intrigued I am. Thank you for all the information, hope I am able to contibute soon.

Thanks
Jason
Ahhh what a nice thing to say about us!
Thank YOU
Welcome to the Forum and Congrats The XD is GREAT first gun!
Easy to Shoot
Accurate
Easy to CLean!
Great Trigger
Low recoil even with the .40 because of the heavy slide and stiff Recoil Spring!
Just plain FUN TO SHOOT!

·
Registered
43 Posts
BigBob68 said:
Hey Monkeywithagun, I heard that IL is THE WORST for firearms. Is it true? BTW Welcome to Missouri.
Yeah, It sux. Mostly because of Chicago, IL as a state will never have anything such as CCW. It's too bad that one city controls the legal destiny of the entire state. I know alot of people in southern IL who are tired of seeing their tax $ going to Chicago when they have plenty of things in their own communities that need to be done. I almost agree with people who say they should cut Chicago off and have North and South Illinois.

The FOID card is the most rediculous thing I have ever seen; I have no idea what purpose they serve. Having one doesn't shorten the waiting period to get a firearm, it doesn't eliminate the background check, it doesn't get rid of any paperwork to get a firearm, but without one you can't posess a gun or even buy ammo. You fill out the application send it in and wait 6 weeks to get back a card that does absolutely nothing. :? (MWG scratches head in confusion)

I guess the FOID is just what it appears to be...blatant, outright registration of gun owners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts