Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well was thinking bout taking him to the range this weekend. Was planning on renting a .22 type pistol and let him shoot it but he has asked more than once to shoot the .40. Im not scared for him to shoot it but dont want to scare him off shooting either. His only experience is with .22 rifles and he likes them. Hes 9 and is very good kid. hes has an airsoft pistol and Ive trained him to handle it as if it was a real handgun for the time he will handle the real thing. Hes really good about it and wears eye protection and at times corrects me when Im not being safe enuff with his toy. Now my mindset is its a toy but hes been trained that its just as seriouse as a real handgun. So I go with what he says to keep it as hes taught. Now my question is what are the shooters here opinion and personal experience on this subject. Hope Im in the right forum.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Mine stepped up to my Berretta 9 at about that same age after taking to a Ruger 10/22 all day. One shot, stovepipe, gently handed it back and sweetly said, "no thank you". It's guaranteed not to make or break his opinion on firearms, though. IMHO

·
Registered
827 Posts
It sounds like you did a Great job in Training your boy. Now he needs to Re-Train you.... ;) Just kidding...

Take him shooting like he asked to go, and load only ONE round in a magazine. If he can Safely rack the slide, let him. Other wise you can rack the slide and hand him a "hot" or loaded weapon.

Stand behind him with your hand just lightly touching his shoulder as to brace him if needed, Don't press or push up against him to hard, just lightly touch him.

Then let him shoot.

He will Love it! :D :cool: ;)

Continue this until he thinks he can handle more than one round at a time. load up 2 or 3 rounds, see how he does. if he can handle more, then load up the magazine....

My boy was 8 when he shot the 40 & 45. My girl was 9 with both. It all depends on each individual child.

If your boy thinks he can handle it, an He asked to shoot it, then let him, and be Proud of him for being Honest.

Pictures if you can.

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
431 Posts
^ +1 ~ He will let you know if he doesn't feel comfortable after the 1 shot, or he just might get that great big smile on his face that you'll remember for the rest of your life!

·
Registered
343 Posts
It sounds like you did a Great job in Training your boy. Now he needs to Re-Train you.... ;) Just kidding...

Take him shooting like he asked to go, and load only ONE round in a magazine. If he can Safely rack the slide, let him. Other wise you can rack the slide and hand him a "hot" or loaded weapon.

Stand behind him with your hand just lightly touching his shoulder as to brace him if needed, Don't press or push up against him to hard, just lightly touch him.

Then let him shoot.

He will Love it! :D :cool: ;)

Continue this until he thinks he can handle more than one round at a time. load up 2 or 3 rounds, see how he does. if he can handle more, then load up the magazine....

My boy was 8 when he shot the 40 & 45. My girl was 9 with both. It all depends on each individual child.

If your boy thinks he can handle it, an He asked to shoot it, then let him, and be Proud of him for being Honest.

Pictures if you can.

Stay Safe.
+1 again!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yeah pics and video for sure. The 9mm barrel is coming soon to make shooting a bit cheaper if he gets hooked meaning both of us will go so more ammo will be needed.
I just ordered 2,000 rounds from USAAMMO yesterday of the 9mm because my son's new Hi Point is 9mm and so is my XD, so we are blowing thru ammo like it was candy... goes pretty fast w/ 15 & 16 round mags :p

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talking to him he held it and said he'd try it but feels better if it was smaller. Said mine is cool but really wants his first gun to be a revolver. Said he thinks they are beautiful guns. I almost teared up hearing him talk like that lol. He may end up a wheel gun Guy. So Xmas is coming and his B-day is in January. Gonna be renting small caliber wheel guns to see what's the largest he can handle. Or just get a nice 22. Other than that what other size ammo is cheap and readily available?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Talking to him he held it and said he'd try it but feels better if it was smaller. Said mine is cool but really wants his first gun to be a revolver. Said he thinks they are beautiful guns. I almost teared up hearing him talk like that lol. He may end up a wheel gun Guy. So Xmas is coming and his B-day is in January. Gonna be renting small caliber wheel guns to see what's the largest he can handle. Or just get a nice 22. Other than that what other size ammo is cheap and readily available?
Have him watch You shoot just one round, to see what the recoil looks like, and how much "boom" there is.
Then let him try it if he wants to, if not, then maybe something like a Walther P22 would be a Great first pistol for him. He will build his Confidence quickly, then soon move on to your .40, and then You'll have to buy a new one for yourself.... ;)

Let us know how it goes...

Stay Safe.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
id have to say if he likes a wheel gun a ruger single six would be great.. and if he wants more drop in the 22 mag cyl. I'd tell him to get proficient with that and maybe later might come a vaquero?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts