Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is just something about my XD sub.

I have an extensive collection of the finest pistols, BUT the XD is the one I carry all the time.

It is not up to par [finish,mag capacity,size,wear comfort,power]with my other handguns, BUT it stays with me always.

Other pistols have come and gone from my [brief case, gun safe] BUT I am not gonna trade or sell this one.

It is also perfectly reliable and ALOT more accurate than anything else I have fired. More accurate in my hand than my small Sig,HK,Walther ,etc.

All this , for $400, it seems to good to be true.

All around a great handgun , that has been severly under rated,overlooked,and under priced.

I am very happy with it, and will surely get another, may be a full size.

·
Registered
102 Posts
AMZ,

Like you, I own many handguns, but the XD is the one I carry daily, only mine is a 357 Sig Service. I also own two 9mm XD Sub Compacts and my wife has a 9mm XD SC that she carries everyday.

When I want to carry something a little smaller, it's my XD SC, but when I'm walking the dogs in bear country behind the house, it's my full size Witness 10mm that goes with me, or my S&W Model 57, .41 Magnum.

Fred

·
Registered
12 Posts
A quick question for you Pros. Do you carry your XD with a round
in the chamber? There are features on the pistol I like, and have started
to carry it daily over my Glocks. Whats the take on carrying "locked
and loaded"?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bonzer,

I don't know that I qualify as a pro, but I was paid to carry a handgun everyday for 26 years, and after I retired, I carry one everyday now for two reasons. One is that I'm allowed to, and the other is because of some of the people I dealt with in the first 26 years, who still hold a grudge, providing they're out of prison by now, or still alive.

I carry any handgun on my person with a round in the chamber. That applies to everything from a small .22 auto, through revolvers and up to a 1911 in either .45 or .400 Cor-Bon. I usually carry my 357 Sig XD these days, and it always has a round in the chamber. When I was in the Marine Corps, many, many years ago, I had a sergeant who's favorite saying was the only thing more worthless than an empty canteen, was an empty weapon. I've always believed he was correct and nothing that has occured in the intervening years has proved him wrong.

Hope this helps.

Fred

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
AMZ, welcome to the funhouse.
+1 to Fred.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Bonzer, there is no reason not to carry a round in the chamber, and many reasons not to carry with an empty chamber.

The XD is a very safe modern firearm. It has several safeties, and it cannot fire without 1) a normal grip on the firearm, and 2) the trigger being pulled. It will not suddenly discharge if dropped, bumped, or the trigger snagged while holstering (so keep your hand off the grip safety while holstering).

One of the best arguments against carrying with an empty chamber was posted by Delija a few weeks ago. He reported how he was approached by three young punks and robbed. At least one of them had a knife.

His chamber was empty, and he stated that he did not feel that he had enough distance and time to draw his weapon and rack the slide, so he could not use his gun defensively. Worse yet, he feared it would be seen as he pulled stuff out of his pockets and he feared that the criminals might preemptively stab him if they saw it.

So, his empty chamber not only made his gun useless, it made his gun a danger.

I suggest that you place a new snap cap in the chamber and carry it like that for a week or so in your normal routine. If the firing pin is somehow tripped it will leave a dent in the virgin primer. If the primer is still undented after a week, you will know that your gun and your handling are safe. This is a method used by a lot of folks new to ccw who are a bit nervous about carrying a live round in the chamber, and it proves that their modern gun is truly safe to carry fully loaded.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
+1 to all of you guys replying about the round in the chamber
I enjoy reading peoples thoughts on sticky subjects.....I have yet to find a bad one. Always heartfelt and honest..never "what kinda stupid question is that" riff

·
Registered
51 Posts
One always in the chamber. Took me a little while to get used to it. Search the forums there is another thread on this topic.

oilman

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't say under priced man. Someone might hear that and jack up the cost some. Myself, and I'm sure many others on here want another one, and they are at a decent price now. If the pricde goes up, then it means i have to wait longer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bonzer said:
A quick question for you Pros. Do you carry your XD with a round
in the chamber? There are features on the pistol I like, and have started
to carry it daily over my Glocks. Whats the take on carrying "locked
and loaded"?
A BG can easily cover 21' (most gun fights occur at 7 yards or less) in the time it takes most people to draw their gun from a concealed holster. We did an exercise in one class where as a timer went off the shooter would draw and fire a shot. At the same time a person ran the opposite direction (behind and away) from the shooter. After the shot was fired the guy would stop running. You would be amazed at the distance a person can cover in the time it takes to draw. Now imagine if you had to also take the time to rack one into the pipe. How much time would that add to your draw? A gun that's not loaded when you need it to be doesn't do you much good.

Don't worry about your XD being safe, it isn't going to go off unless the grip safety is depressed AND you pull the trigger. Keep that finger outside the guard if you don't intend to shoot and you'll be fine, just like your Glocks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts