Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I went out and fired my XD-9 service for the first time today. I had a great time and the gun shoots great, but I have a few questions.

My XD is my first handgun and I was wondering how everyone else's XD shoots. Should I be aiming point of aim or the 6 o'clock position. I had a tough time shooting targets at 20yds because of this. I was using clay pigeons laid out on the backstop.

Can anyone provide some tips that may increase my accuracy?
:?

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
A 6 oclock hold is considered standard. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the same trouble with my 40. At 15 or 25 yards I seem to shoot low. When I first started I was shooting low and left but now pretty much just low. I did the same thing when shooting 45"'s in the navy. I'am waiting for a chance to try shooting with a sand bag to see if any of it is the gun or if it's all me. Don't seem to have the problem with my old 38 colt.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I rented one a couple days ago and found it shot pretty much point of aim rather than 6 o'clock. I'll shoot my new XD9 today and see if it does the same thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Directlly from the manual!

"POINT OF AIM
Point of Impact
Shooters may use a “point of aim” sight picture at
25 yards. This means that, at 25 yards the bullet should
impact the target at the point visible at the top of the
front sight. Shooters may also use a “6 o’clock” sight
picture to strike the center of the target. Springfield
Armory pistols are designed to use the “6 o’clock” sight
picture at 25 yards.
However, some pistols may shoot
“point of aim” at 25 yards depending on shooter and
ammunition."

These things make good reading! :wink:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Both of my XDs operate like the manual says. I am at 6 o'clock and hit the center of the target. I prefer Centermass so am installing adjustable sights on my Tactical and having the front sight on my Service changed to a taller one to achieve that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
champo1 said:
Directlly from the manual!

"POINT OF AIM
Point of Impact
Shooters may use a “point of aim” sight picture at
25 yards. This means that, at 25 yards the bullet should
impact the target at the point visible at the top of the
front sight. Shooters may also use a “6 o’clock” sight
picture to strike the center of the target. Springfield
Armory pistols are designed to use the “6 o’clock” sight
picture at 25 yards.
However, some pistols may shoot
“point of aim” at 25 yards depending on shooter and
ammunition."

These things make good reading! :wink:
I read the manual and did exactly what it said. I'm going to do some bench shooting and see if it is my form, which is probably the problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I shot 100 rounds through my sd9-sc sat. I put up 25 yd rapidfire targets used for bullseye competition. at 25 feet the gun shot elevation exactly where I aimed- 6:00 (it shot to rt 3-4"-sight needs drifted some) .I shot highpower a longtime- I can hold 6 oclock ; my eyes cannot hold center as precise. my last 10 shots had 6/10 in a straight line at the bottom of the bllseye, plus 2 shots 1" high and the others called off. pretty nice group for the 1st day. THe problem isevery one I've showed the target to thinks 1)I'm a poor shot or 2) the sights are way off :( "No, that's where I was aiming......"). Oh well. It was a good 1st session. no problems w/gun.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
Since your a first time shooter I would suggest shooting targets at a closer range then work your way out to the long distance targets.
I agree completely, seven--or even five--yards would not be too close. When you can shoot a 5 shot, one hole group at seven (five) yards, move out to ten yards. You should be able to get a 1" to 1 1/2" group at ten yards, but two inches would be acceptable, at least in the eary stages of markmanship development.

You might want to consider taking a class sometime, most beginning shooters find an intro class to be helpful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Snake-eater 1 said:
one-eyed-fatman said:
Since your a first time shooter I would suggest shooting targets at a closer range then work your way out to the long distance targets.
I agree completely, seven--or even five--yards would not be too close. When you can shoot a 5 shot, one hole group at seven (five) yards, move out to ten yards. You should be able to get a 1" to 1 1/2" group at ten yards, but two inches would be acceptable, at least in the eary stages of markmanship development.

You might want to consider taking a class sometime, most beginning shooters find an intro class to be helpful.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing. Probably going to take a class at the local club to get a good technique down. Good idea about starting at a 5 yard distance, I will try that out. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I'm a beginner with a XD, give me a glock and I can do some damage, but thanks for the tips I really do appreciate the feedback. with the manual I only really went as far as the safety, features, and stripping. so I'll certainly go back through and read their instructions on aiming. Again thanks for the help. I'll post my results next time I get out. In the meantime though as far as I'm concerned I can never have too many tips so keep em coming if you like. Range though I'm nowhere near 25 yards, bout 10 at the moment, but I don't compete. I just want to make sure the person that would be stupid enough to kick in my door doesn't have a chance LOL!!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I'm all about necrothreads. It shows me a user sought out information rather than being lazy and simply demanding it. It's not too bad here, but a paintball forum I used to frequent would often have 2-3 active threads asking the same question on the same page at any given time. Kudos to those who seek information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts