Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

i'd like to start by thanking everyone for the wealth of information and advice i've encountered on the forum. you guys were a great asset in helping me to decide to finally purchase an XD. keep up the good work!

i just bought my XD this week and am looking forward to putting a couple hundred rounds through her before i sign up for a CCW class. so here are some preliminary questions. i know that a lot of these issues have been tackled elswhere on the forum, but if anyone wants to throw in their 2 cents on any of them i would really appreciate it. i look forward to learning from your collective wisdom.

1. anyone know of any break-in procedures, besides cleaning regularly?

2. i've heard that practicing dry firing with a coin on the side is a good way to learn how to keep the pistol steady during actual trigger pulls. does anyone use this approach or any other dry firing method?

3. a lot of people advocate upgrading to a don's guide rod and wolff recoil spring. is this something you guys recommend? if so, should it be done immediately or after putting some use into the factory components?

4. my XD came with an extreme duty holster, put i plan on purchasing a higher quality one when i obtain my CCW license. one of the holsters i've looked at is made by safariland and features a securing hood (model 6281). anyone have any experience with these holsters?

5. can you fit a full size tac light on the 4" accesory rail or just the XML?any good light or laser/light recommendations?

sorry for the long windedness. i don't have a lot of experience with internet forums so if i'm guilty of any faux pas i apologize in advance. i look forward to hearing your responses.

cheers,
micah

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
1. lots of ammo breaks it in

2. dry firing is fine, its good practice. never heard of the coin thing.

3. the rod isnt mandatory, its all personal preference. it helps with recoil, and is easier to care for.

4. havent used that holster before.

5. yes a full size light will fit. the xml is only for the subcompact model.
the m6 and the new glock laser/light combo are good choices. lasermax has a guide rod laser on the way. much $$$$ though. get used to shooting with the sights before u spend money on a laser.

welcome to the forum by the way. im the token black dude. GO JESSE JACKSON!! ... jk :D

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
What he said

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
LOL token LOL....sorry that just struck me funny :lol:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Don't worry about a guide rod. No round that the XD is chambered in will have violent recoil. It is best to learn recoil management by shooting a lot.

I think this is one of the most common misconceptions in America. We have new religion in the US that is obvious to most people. TECHNOLOGY.

We as a society believe that our modern technology can overcome almost anything. For instance, if someone is sick, technology will cure them.

I am not saying that technology is good or bad (personally I like it) but in the end, you have to put some work into the shooter.

I would make this bet. A stock XD has better accuracity potential than probably 50% (or more) of the people on this board can exploit.

My advise is, get your self 10 boxes of WWB (buy it at walmert). Go out and learn to shoot. Get yourself a trainer. Have them go with you and help you.

Trigger time is what will make you better, not gear.

-Dana

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Don't worry about a guide rod. No round that the XD is chambered in will have violent recoil. It is best to learn recoil management by shooting a lot.

I think this is one of the most common misconceptions in America. We have new religion in the US that is obvious to most people. TECHNOLOGY.

We as a society believe that our modern technology can overcome almost anything. For instance, if someone is sick, technology will cure them.

I am not saying that technology is good or bad (personally I like it) but in the end, you have to put some work into the shooter.

I would make this bet. A stock XD has better accuracity potential than probably 50% (or more) of the people on this board can exploit.

My advise is, get your self 10 boxes of WWB (buy it at walmert). Go out and learn to shoot. Get yourself a trainer. Have them go with you and help you.

Trigger time is what will make you better, not gear.

-Dana
AMEN....ENOUGH SAID!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts