Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing more and more posts in regard to changing out guiderod/spring setups, be cautious. First off,I have Glocks AND an XD, both of which I intend to keep. I strongly urge you to go to custom Glock racing and check out the article entitled "spring wars".It is extremely informative and could keep you from potentially damaging your pistol.Case in point,months agoI purchased an aftermarket s/s captured unit for my Glock 20(Lightening Strikes).Upon installation, I noticed something didnt feel quite right,I looked through the dustcover/slide gap as the slide locked back on an empty mag and clearly the coils were smashed together(I could barely lock back the slide). Full slide travel is imperative.Had I used this unit irreparable damage would likely have occured,due to the fact that the slide would have never reached its rear stop.Instead ,the slide would have impacted the guiderod base against the barrel underlug and disassembly latch.I'm now using THE S/S guiderod and ISMI springs(much better). Matt at CGR is extremely knowledgable and his writings have been a great aid. The products he endorses are exceptional,trust me on this. Hope this helps :wink:

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
while an interesting read, I don't think its a problem unless you decide to go ridiculously out of spec when choosing a spring for the XD. Some of those problems sound like they could be possible, but I am sure I would have read it hear by now. The Don's rod and spring combo are pretty popular here and have seen a lot of use. The only "kaboom" I have had (not a barrel explosion) was when my captie guide rod system (called he recoil spring assembly according to Springfield Armory) gernaded in my gun causeing the slide ot lock in battery with a hot round. Very un-nerving.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts