Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a solid guide rod for my 9mm xdm. I have seen ones from Don's and Springer, and I think XDGUYS too.

I am looking for recommendations as to which one migt be best, or if they are all about the same. I am going to be using my stock spring. I am leaning Don's right now, but would like opinions.

Are there any that come in black? Not a big deal, but since I have a bi-tone I like the contrast with the slide and having the rod and barrell match. If I had a black Xdm, the SS rod would be my preference.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
A guide rod is a guide rod is a guide rod. Some are made from different materials, some are heavier. They all work.

ranburr

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that's one way to look at it. Any other takers?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I HAVE THE SS GUIDE ROD FROM PISTOL GEAR IN MY XDM9 LOVE IT :cool:WELL WORTH 25 BUCKS

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I HAVE THE SS GUIDE ROD FROM PISTOL GEAR IN MY XDM9 LOVE IT :cool:WELL WORTH 25 BUCKS
no modifications needed or functional problems?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I guess that's one way to look at it. Any other takers?
The guide rod performs one function; it keeps the recoil spring from kinking during recoil. You can add weight to the slide by using a heavier guide rod which will help muzzle flip. You can change recoil spring weights to match the particular round you should. You can use after market guide rods that use 1911 springs which give you a wide variety of choices. Bottom line guide rods are personal choices and what one person likes another may not.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guide rod performs one function; it keeps the recoil spring from kinking during recoil. You can add weight to the slide by using a heavier guide rod which will help muzzle flip. You can change recoil spring weights to match the particular round you should. You can use after market guide rods that use 1911 springs which give you a wide variety of choices. Bottom line guide rods are personal choices and what one person likes another may not.

Thanks for the feedback, and I do understand this. What I was really looking for were quality differences or preferences between a few of the available replacement rods for the XDm.....if there is no difference between them, I'll just order the one from Dons.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have both the Don's Guide Rod and the new guide rod from Wolff. The DGR is stainless and the Wolff is black carbon steel.

They are both pretty much the same weight, size and shape. I had to modify the DGR slightly - bevel the back edge of the flange. This is required to allow it to sit properly in the barrel notch (which is radiused) for slide removal. Without this bevel, the rod sits up too high off the barrel and interferes with a bump in the frame when you are field-stripping the slide. It functions (shoots) fine as is, just was a pain to dissasemble (had to use a rubber mallet a couple of times to get the slide off).

Don may be beveling them now - this was a few months ago.

The Wolff already has the bevel (like the factory rod) so it was good to go.

I have no experience with the Springer 1911 conversion rod.

Being the same weight, it really comes down to the color - do you like bright stainless or black. They both work very well and noticeably reduce recoil and muzzle flip but add about 2.5 oz of weight up front.

·
Premium Member
127,789 Posts
I am very pleased with my DGR.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have both the Don's Guide Rod and the new guide rod from Wolff. The DGR is stainless and the Wolff is black carbon steel.

They are both pretty much the same weight, size and shape. I had to modify the DGR slightly - bevel the back edge of the flange. This is required to allow it to sit properly in the barrel notch (which is radiused) for slide removal. Without this bevel, the rod sits up too high off the barrel and interferes with a bump in the frame when you are field-stripping the slide. It functions (shoots) fine as is, just was a pain to dissasemble (had to use a rubber mallet a couple of times to get the slide off).

Don may be beveling them now - this was a few months ago.

The Wolff already has the bevel (like the factory rod) so it was good to go. Does the spring lock onto the end the way the factory rod does?

I have no experience with the Springer 1911 conversion rod.

Being the same weight, it really comes down to the color - do you like bright stainless or black. They both work very well and noticeably reduce recoil and muzzle flip but add about 2.5 oz of weight up front.

Thanks! This is exactly why I asked! I never heard of the Wolff model before and I really wanted a black solid rod. I do think the DGR's are beveled now, from what I have read others say. But since the Wolff has it for sure, even better.

Is it best to order right from Wolff or are there online stores that carry them?

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
We (PistolGear) have sold over 1,600 of Don's Guide Rods (all shapes & sized) and to date we have not received a single complaint or return in five years. The product was the original and it is as solid as the man who makes them. Go DGR.

OS

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We (PistolGear) have sold over 1,600 of Don's Guide Rods (all shapes & sized) and to date we have not received a single complaint or return in five years. The product was the original and it is as solid as the man who makes them. Go DGR.

OS

I am sure the DGR is great, but do you think the Wolff is bad?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I am sure the DGR is great, but do you think the Wolff is bad?
I don't see the issue here. All of these guide rods are the same with the exception of wt and materials that they are made from. There is no difference in quality. One does the job just as well as the other. Buy whichever one is either cheapest, weighs what you want, or has the finish that you want. You are getting worked up over what is essentially a straight metal rod that is flared on one end. He likes Don's because they have a long business history together. I have one of Don's it works well. I have one of Springer's it works well. I have a factory rod that works well. You can't tell any difference in the three shooting except that Don's and Springer's add wt to the muzzle.

ranburr

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Could someone just help me understand why aftermarket guide rods. I've used them but have yet to see an advantage,,,,I guess you can "tune" your spring...I guess you must have better senses in your hands than I have in mine. I always go back to the original,,,except in the tactical where I threw that hollow piece of garbage to the side.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Could someone just help me understand why aftermarket guide rods. I've used them but have yet to see an advantage,,,,I guess you can "tune" your spring...I guess you must have better senses in your hands than I have in mine. I always go back to the original,,,except in the tactical where I threw that hollow piece of garbage to the side.
In the Tactical and the M, you hit it on the nose with hollow piece of garbage (though it does work fine). On the standard XD model, I would not touch the GR system.

ranburr

·
Registered
95 Posts
I use both the DGR and the Wolff. They are equivalent (once the bevel is done to the DGR) and work extremely well. The only real difference is the color. They both shoot noticeably better than the hollow factory rod.

I use the DGR (bright stainless) with my PistolGear 9mm conversion barrel cause it matches the barrel (which is also bright steel).

I use the Wolff rod with the factory .40 barrel because it matches better - my gun is black/black.

I would always recommend supporting the forum sponsers - you can't go wrong with the DGR from Pistol Gear. Great support from those guys.

If color is an issue, the Wolff is an alternative - it works fine.

For me it's no issue - I bought both...

·
Registered
107 Posts
What about spring wieght? I understand that the Wolf Guide Rod is modified to use 1911 springs to change the spring wieght. What about Don's Guide Rods? What springs do they use?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Both the DGR and the Wolff rods for the XDm are the same "fat" profile. They are the same size and shape as the factory rod - just different color and material. They both are designed to be used with the factory springs. Wolff is now making different weight springs for the XDm's factory (and DGR and Wolff) rods. You can get these springs from Pistol Gear (forum sponsor).

The 1911 conversion rod for the XDm that you speak of is a totally different beast. I don't own one so I can't tell you exactly what it looks like but it is designed to be used with 1911 springs which are available from many sources.

I don't know if Wolff makes one of these 1911 rods but you can get one from Springer Precision (also a forum sponser).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went with the wolff. Everything else being equal, I'd prefer a black rod for aesthetics. Given the $25 cost, it isn't the end of the world if I don't like it. I may end up getting the DGR for my dads Xdm. I'll let you know how it is when I get it and try it out at the range.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts