Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was tired of the XD...it was fun while it lasted, but i never got attached to it.

ever since my brother picked up his Sig P6 9mm, i have been wanting a metal framed pistol. so after i sold my XD, i went and looked at 1911's at gander mountain...they had a bunch to play with, but one stood out to me.

the Kimber Pro Carry II .45 (black with night sight's)...i played with that little guy for atleast 10-15 minute's.

the gun clerk didnt know anything about it (spec's wise) and when i asked him to go get the box, he got distracted by another customer....so i came home and looked them up myself. :D

i am going to shop around for a week, and then i will be ready to purchase.

just wanted to let everyone know about what has happend in the last few hour's.

im excited for next weekend!

Incase you dont know what the Pro Carry II looks like:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I picked up one a couple of months ago. Very accurate but I could not stand the tactical bump. Five magazines had my palm bruised and my thumb sore so I had it changed with a Wilsons that lies flat to the mainspring housing when depressed. Swapped out he MIM safety and slide release with an Ambi and added an extended slide release, mag release, and a hogue wrap. Also changed out the metal spring and follower and bought a few low profile Wilsons. Didn't come with sights so I added Trijicons. Got about 300 rounds through it with one FTF (165gr H/S) and it's been fantastic.

Can't give up my XD though. I've been a 1911 guy for years but my XD-45C is my best friend. Sorry about the small picture. I can't figure out how to get a good picture uploaded.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you do not need to make it larger, if you click on it it grows.

i did like my XD, it was my first firearm purchase ever, it was reliable as hell, accurate, and very comfortable in my hand...i just never became attached to the XD as some people do.

i don't want a huge gun collection, i just want my 3 gun's. (pistol, rifle, and shotgun...the .22 does not count haha) i may have to try a few different thing's before i find the one's i like, but that's ok.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Understand. I need to trim my collection down a bit. I've got a few that haven't been fired in over 10 years.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok....i think i changed my mine about the Kimber pro carry II.

now i am looking at a Springfield Armory, lightweight champion operator...found one for $845 out the door.

this decision might take a while.... :razz:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oh great, you had to post a picture of it. Sheesh!

I shot this gun at a range a while back. My co-worker had just bought it. God it's a nice gun, real fun to shoot too. Comfortable in my hand, a bit slimmer than my XD45 ACP Compact. The recoil is real nice too. I wanted one after a few rounds! Too bad they cost more than twice what I paid for my XD or I'd have one right now...

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Take your time, get what you want.
You seem to be decided on a 45ACP.
Would you consider a Sig P220?

Show Catalog Product

The SAOs are nice and wouldn't be as finicky as a 1911.
Just a thought...;)

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i want a .45acp 1911.

i was interested in the Sig P220, but my brother has a Sig 9mm that i can shoot anytime.

i want a .45 1911.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well I haven't had mine that long but I love it. This one will never leave my safe. I put 250 rounds through it this weekend and it just got better and better. I started off with too little finger on the trigger but after the 1st target on the top left, I figured out my perfect finger pad placement. This are 5 1/2 inch targets at 7 yards. I chose this target to post because it shows my 'a ha!' moment when I found the sweet spot on my trigger finger.

Sorry to hear you sold your great pistol but I'm sure the next owner will thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well...i have made my decision!

this is whats on the way:

Springfield Armory Lightweight Champion Operator
.45 ACP
capacity 7+1 (2 magazine's included)
Cocobolo hardwood grip's
Tritium 3-dot sight's
4" bull barrel
forged aluminum frame (railed)
forged steel slide.

part# PX9115LP

got it for $828

:D

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I've been lusting after the Ultra Carry II since my EMP took sick, and just today my friendly neighborhood pistol purveyor said the Kimbers are their best sellers, and the Ultra Carry II is a great pistol. The salesman I talked to was in his 70's and while you'd never know it, he's been around 1911's a long time. He had a CPD on his hip and said he swears by the entire lineup.

The one thing he said was "there are two things you don't need on a pistol - night sights and adjustable sights. And lasers. Three things." For me, after talking with them today, saving almost 200 bucks and getting the Ultra Carry II without the night sights is on my to-do list.

I don't think you could go wrong with any Ultra Carry II

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i went with a lightweight champion operator.

and i do not regret it at all.:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just bought an XDM and REALLY like it, but I'll never feel the same way about it that I do for the venerable 1911. No matter what brand,they are so solid and shoot so well. I love them. Will definitely be my next purchase. I'm also looking at the ultra carry II, although you've got me interested in the Champion Operator. I just don't care for the wood look.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just bought an XDM and REALLY like it, but I'll never feel the same way about it that I do for the venerable 1911. No matter what brand,they are so solid and shoot so well. I love them. Will definitely be my next purchase. I'm also looking at the ultra carry II, although you've got me interested in the Champion Operator. I just don't care for the wood look.
im not a fan of the wood either, but there are hundred's of grip option's, and they are fairly cheap.

i like the Ergo grip's for $23

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just picked up a Kimber Tactical Custom II. Aluminum frame and extended mag well plus all the other goodies that come with a Kimber. I just swapped out the full guide rod with a mil-spec short guide rod and plug that I got directly from Kimber. Don't like using tools to take down my gun. I looked really hard at kimber's Pro and Ultra Carry. Look like beautiful guns. Just kind of weird that you need a paper clip to field strip them. If anybody knows a way around using that little paper clip for the guide rod let me know. Until then i will stick to full size Kimbers only.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
The one thing he said was "there are two things you don't need on a pistol - night sights and adjustable sights. And lasers.
Seems like an odd statement to me. Night sights or a laser are mandatory for any pistol I carry at night.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Seems like an odd statement to me. Night sights or a laser are mandatory for any pistol I carry at night.
As he explained it, you'll see the sights but it isn't going to light up what you're shooting - learn to point-shoot. Lasers and lights will just tell the BG where to aim. Shoot to the left, shoot to the right.

I have to say, I agree, I think night sights are nice, but I'm not sure they're mandatory.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
One of my first guns was a Springfield 1911A1 mil-spec. Its a great 1911. I stuck a set of Pachymar grips on it with the wood panels and rubber finger grooves. Very comfortable to shoot.

Reminiscing, my first 5 guns were:

1. Savage Over/Under .22LR over 20 gauge
2. Mossberg 12 gauge pump
3. Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum
4. Springfield Armory 1911A1
5. Desert Eagle .50AE

1 - 20 of 31 Posts