Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader, first time post, thanks for the great site! Anyways, I am almost finished with my LEO training and i am interested in finding a small of the back holster for my XD9SC, which i plan on using as my off-duty carry weapon. I am a big guy (6'2 260) but i rarely wear shirts tucked in, so a tuckable holster is not totally necessary. Concealment and comfort are my primary concerns. If anybody can help i would really appriciate it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
bladetech has a small of the back for all xd's try pistol gear first to see if they have it cause its not advertise but i ordered mine from them and havent recieved it yet it takes 4 weeks to make so good luck geting it :wink:

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Downside to SOB holsters...
Fall on it and you could suffer serious back damage.
Retension is almost non existent
harder and slower to draw
VERY uncomfortable while seated for any length of time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ditto the fall risk on the SOB. After crushing T11 & 12 a couple years ago (skiing accident) I can say with certainty you really don't want to go there.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
ichy_trigger said:
Can you name 1 person that has had "serious back damage" because of this type of holster. I am sorry but this should be on snopes. I have 3 SOB holsters, and they all have a thumb break. The guy asked where to get one, not for a bad info about them.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Super Trucker said:
ichy_trigger said:
Can you name 1 person that has had "serious back damage" because of this type of holster. I am sorry but this should be on snopes. I have 3 SOB holsters, and they all have a thumb break. The guy asked where to get one, not for a bad info about them.
Ok you got me, I dont have a link to give you to show proof. A guy on another forum, I think the Sig forum DID have a back injury while falling back onto his. Just because it hasnt happened to you, doesnt mean it cant happen to someone else. In the NRA training course I have taken, they discourage use of said holsters for the reasons I mention. I also have read on at least one of the premier holster makers websites that they do not make these style of holsters for some of the above said reasons. Again, I can not post a link as there are too many holster manufactures for me to remember which one it was.

I thought this forum was a means of gathering information related to a particular topic. You then choose to use that information as you see fit. If you are happy with your SOB holsters then that is great, Im very happy that you made a worth while purchase.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Oh wait, way back when, when I was in the Army, we were on the back of a 5 ton making a phone run in the desert. One of the guys on the truck was sitting on his rifle and when we hit a pothole in the road, he fractured his tailbone. Does that count? :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a couple of really nice SOB holsters from Brigade Gunleather. They take awhile to get because they're hand made, but they are reasonably priced and the quality is VERY good.

My two cents worth on SOB holsters in general: Holster preference is a very individual thing and has mostly to do with the body contours of the joker wearing it and what he plans to be doing while wearing it. Oh, yeah, and the quality of the holster itself. For me, SOB holsters conceal subcompact pistols nicely and are pretty comfortable even while driving. I realize this won't be true for others. I say, figure out what works best for you.

Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. (Hamlet)

·
Registered
87 Posts
i bought a hume from pistol-gear for SOB,i think it's a 715-____. great price, works well. i'm right handed so i bought a lefty for SOB.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
This is for Super Trucker and SAint: Though I never wore a SOB while spending almost 3 decades in le, I can speak as a back expert. I have had 4 surgeries and I'm fused from t12 to s1, hence my retirement. Carrying anything over/near the spine will eventually have an effect per my spine surgeon. Those leos that carry one double handcuff case fall into that catagory. Even carrying a notebook in the back pocket is deleterious per the doc. I carried 2 cases and tried to keep them even, but they do move and still dig into the back.

Thought it may not happen right away (and it didn't with me), over a period of years of constant pressure, I believe it is a safe bet the spine may be damaged. You have to decide if it is worth the risk. I would advise since you are just beginning your le career to try to eliminate what risk factors you have control over, because there are a hell of a lot you don't have control of.

Good luck in whatever you choose and Good luck in your career. Stay safe and VEST UP!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts