Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an "old fashion" question, but can you use soap and water with a toothbrush to clean your weapon? I have an XD-9 and it needs a good bath. I will oil the parts after the wash, but was wondering if soap and water can do the trick espically on the slide, barrel and spring. Is there any places I should not use soap and water?

Thanks,
Casey

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
On a post about a week or two ago, somebody mentioned using "simple green" to clean with.

Seems like it would be ok--------as long as you then removed the rust causing moisture and coated the gun with a good protectant.

It might take a little while longer to clean the fouling out of the barrel, but it should work for you.

Can I ask why the aversion to a solvent type cleaner?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just don't have any around the house right now. I would have to go buy simple green. I do have orange blast.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
The problem I see is water left behind in nooks and crannies, which could cause rust. If you have some sort of compressed air (canned or compressor) to blow out all the water, I don't see a problem. Soap and water was the preferred cleaner for black powder firearms for many, many years, and many a service rifle has been cleaned in the barracks' shower room

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Orange blast is a form of degreaser, should work just fine. You may want to rinse the cleaner residue off after cleaning the metal, then dry it well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do not take any chances of getting any harmful moisture or rust causing substances around a firearm you want to keep. I field strip my gun then use a spray bottle with denatured alcohol and drench the slide and barrel in it... then I use a good bore cleaner. Get the crud out. Take care of your gun and it will take care of you. Plus denatured alcohol is cheap as hell and allows you to use less solvent--tip get a good synthetic oil to lube up... Stay away from Hopps, it burns up too fast. Keep shooting!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've used Simple Green to clean my XD it works very well just spray it down, let it soak, rinse with water (I used the garden hose) dry with compressed air and thoroughy lubricate. It took about 15 minuites and the gun was really clean. No rust either. Simple Green will attack aluminium if not rinsed well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know a range master that strips his Glock and runs it through a cycle in the dishwasher, then blows it out with an airhose, and oils it up really good.

He likes to torture test his guns. He has a Beretta 92 that he's had for 16 years, that he went a couple of years without cleaning before he had a malfuntion on the range. He wanted to see how long it would perform reliably.

A highway patrolman recently told me that the factory manual with his Beretta Cougar .357 says to use soap and water for cleaning.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
tec said:
On a post about a week or two ago, somebody mentioned using "simple green" to clean with.

Seems like it would be ok--------as long as you then removed the rust causing moisture and coated the gun with a good protectant.
My local gunshop has an indoor range and rents out XDs. I was asking the owner a lot of questions before I bought mine. He told me the only problem he had with the finish on the XD was with Simple Green. He admitted it was his fault but he said that at the end of the day he puts the Glocks and XDs into Simple Green baths and has someone scrub them really good while he does paperwork. He lets his guys go home and then takes the guns out of the baths, cleans off the Simple Green and dries and oils them for the next day himself. One night he got busy, forgot about the pistols in the Simple Green and left them in it overnight. The next day he found the Simple Green had taken the metal finish off of the XDs.

I would try it in the future but I would definitely make sure to get all of that **** off, dry and oil the gun fairly quick. Also, the Simple Green may take a little off at a time so you might want to think about that to figure how long the finish life will be.

·
Registered
48 Posts
GhostDog said:
I know a range master that strips his Glock and runs it through a cycle in the dishwasher, then blows it out with an airhose, and oils it up really good.
Remind me never to eat as his house.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Old School said:
BW Fast Blast works well if you want to just spray down your XD for a cleaning.
Do you stock Strike Hold? If you do not check out the clips on this link, you might want to become a distributor: http://www.strike-hold.com/strike-hold.htm

My dad is an AMSOil and Royal Purple distributor but I'm trying to talk him into stocking this stuff just so I can check it out.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Interesting. After seeing the video, I am not sure I want that on my guns or my skin. The Blue Wonder products do a great job when it comes to cleaning and protection.

I am currently looking at Sprinco's Plate+ as an option. It seems to be an awesome product and I cannot wait to try it out.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have always just used Break-Free, it seems to be a good all around choice but it still takes more elbow grease than I would want when you clean with it. I just want something that can get all that carbon off my gun. Do those ether based products hurt the finish? They turn a good bluing job into a dry sickly ash color until you put oil on the area. I do not know if that will hurt the finish long-term but i just want something to cut down on my cleaning time. Pistols are no big deal but on my rifles getting the chamber and barrel clean are big hassles. Do you have any specific suggestions for this?

P

·
0 Posts
KP Ling said:
Old School said:
BW Fast Blast works well if you want to just spray down your XD for a cleaning.
Do you stock Strike Hold? If you do not check out the clips on this link, you might want to become a distributor: http://www.strike-hold.com/strike-hold.htm

My dad is an AMSOil and Royal Purple distributor but I'm trying to talk him into stocking this stuff just so I can check it out.
That stuff is a lot better than the standard breakfree they issue. I remember testing that **** with 240s in afghanistan, works great, but militec-1 is even better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Strike hold is awesome. I also used it in Afghanistan, and I thought it was much better than break free. It is kind of a dry lubricant as well as a cleaner. The sand and dirt won't stick to your weapon, and it doesn't need to be re-applied constantly. I'd like to try out that miltec1 if you say its even better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts