Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first AK after the election, so I went ammo shopping. I found Wolf 7.62x39mm 122 gr., FMJ, steel case, non-corrosive and berdan primer $5.99 for 20. Then I see American Eagle for $12.99 for 20 and Winchester $13.49 for 20. Is Wolf ammo really crappy? I heard people say " I will never put that stuff in my gun". I hear that wolf is a dirty ammo. So if i buy more expensive ammo will it be better on my rifle and easier to clean? Forgive me, I have never dealt with wolf ammo ( let alone any AK ammo) and some people I know have made me a little leery about it. Any enlightnment would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
The general advice that I've seen is:

- Wolf pistol ammo is nasty stuff, and many people won't use it.
- Wolf AK ammo is perfectly fine, and it (or similar stuff) is what most people buy.

I'm not sure about the pistol ammo, but the 7.62x39 is steel-cased, which can be an issue at some ranges (due to recycling) and it means that you can't reload it. Also, the bullets have bi-metal jackets (copper over steel, over a lead core) so they will fail the "magnet test" at some ranges and therefore can't be used.

So, for your AK, make sure that you don't have any range limitations . . . then go for it.

I'm using Hot Shot Romainian, which is similar. I need to use a brass catcher at my range, since they don't want the steel cases on the floor, but the bi-metal jacket hasn't been an issue.

I was at an outdoor range recently, where they didn't care about the casing type, but they wouldn't let me use the bi-metal jacket because of the fire risk from sparks due to ricochet with rocks.

But the brass-cased, regular-jacketed ammo is so DAMNED expensive . . . .

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Cheap components, made in Russia, little to no quality control, not the most accurate or reliable stuff you can find.
I'll go along with the cheap components, accuracy and made in Russia comments, but the rest is crap.

I've run about 6,000 rounds of the newer poly-coated Wolf through various ARs and I have yet to have any reliability issues. They have all gone bang when I pulled the trigger, and I've had no issues with FTF or FTEs, either. I do use chrome-lined barrels, though, so I don't worry about it at all.

People used to have issues with the old laquer coated cases in ARs (AKs are more forgiving), but Wolf hasn't used the laquer for quite some time.

As for accuracy, you won't be winning any benchrest competitions with Wolf, but it 3" groups at 100 yards is plenty accurate for what I need.

Of course, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
I'll go along with the cheap components, accuracy and made in Russia comments, but the rest is crap.

I've run about 6,000 rounds of the newer poly-coated Wolf through various ARs and I have yet to have any reliability issues. They have all gone bang when I pulled the trigger, and I've had no issues with FTF or FTEs, either. I do use chrome-lined barrels, though, so I don't worry about it at all.

People used to have issues with the old laquer coated cases in ARs (AKs are more forgiving), but Wolf hasn't used the laquer for quite some time.

As for accuracy, you won't be winning any benchrest competitions with Wolf, but it 3" groups at 100 yards is plenty accurate for what I need.

Of course, YMMV.
I've shot 3k+ of wolf through one of my AR's with no problems either. I think I got a magazine recently with an article where the shooter had some pretty good groups with wolf. I'll edit this when I find it.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so wolf will shoot without fail for the most part, but what about accuracy? Will i potentially get better accuracy with the american eagle or the winchester? enough accuracy to validate the higher cost?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I use nothing but Wolf at the range...thus far, it's more accurate then I am, so I'm satisfied.

Honestly, if you can get a 3" group at 100m, you're plenty accurate for any PRACTICAL purpose with a rifle. If you can hit a 10" target at 10-15 yards, you're good enough to use a handgun for backup. That's just my opinion, anyway. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
I can't remember if this link was posted on XDTalk or not but I read it nonetheless and while it's basically a review on cheaper red dot sight systems, it does mention Wolf and accuracy comparison info with other brands using an AR format and a cheap Red Dot sight.

Educational Zone #80 - Inexpensive Red Dot Scopes - Page 1

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Wolf ammo is also NOT reloadable because it's boxer primers. The cases are scrap after firing so mat'l. quality is lower. For an AK, that is probably all I would ever shoot is Wolf.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Wolf CAN be reloaded if you want to go through the trouble...here's the "how to"
Sounds like you'd be better off buying the brass cases ammunition and accepting the higher initial cost to be able to reuse the brass more than once. Sometimes even the most fanatical cheapskate has to admit that something is more hassle than it's worth.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, I guess I am going to pick up 500rds of Wolf for my AK. Thanks for the info gents.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
. . . but they wouldn't let me use the bi-metal jacket because of the fire risk from sparks due to ricochet with rocks. . .
:confused: WOW. Is this range an old fuel dump? How many fires have ever been started from that?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Wolf CAN be reloaded if you want to go through the trouble...here's the "how to"
Sure, you can reload the boxer primerd cases, but there is still alot of berdan primed floating around. Just the cost of Berdan primers makes it prohibited, so it is effectively NOT reloadable. You can reload steel cases, maybe once, maybe twice before you get a head blow out. The steel cases are NOT designed to be reloaded. The steel is not as ductile & will not withstand multiple firings. Guys may be getting away with it, but you are foolish to attempt this when once fired brass is so cheap & in pistol calibers, lasts almost forever. Nope, IMO, Wolf is fire & forget ammo.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I too use Wolf in my AK and my AR's. Never had an issue to date. It will do a 5 shot group with my RRA AR at less then 1" at 100 yards with no problems. I like it for the price and resonable accuracy. It is a little dirty, but you if you clean your guns regular it is not a problem.

·
Registered
855 Posts
For handguns, I've been told the Wolf ammo's lacquer is very nasty on the guns' internals, and tough to clean out. For the small difference in price I'd rather go with WWB, Blazer or other cheap practice ammo.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
I think mine might actually be old enough to be laquer coated though. Anyways it was before they started packaging it in the black boxes, it's in the 200 rd wax paper bricks. Looks the same as the wolf with a similar headstamp though, and non corrosive primers. Shoots fine, never had an issue with the ammo.

I shoot actual wolf brand in the black box out of my mosin though. It's the 148gr, gold colored case, can hit a penny @ 100 yds (sometimes) but it does 2" groups pretty easy.

I've heard some of the other wolf ammo sux, so I haven't tried it. A friend shoots the .223 out of a mini 14, and it doesn't act up. Don't think I'd try the pistol ammo though, it can be really dirty, and it's not as cheap comparatively to the blazer brass, or winchester white box. For pistols, I'd stick to better ammo. :arrow:

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
it's steel cased primarily. Brass makes up the bulk of the cost of a round. I've used Wolf in my handguns - sucks a big one, but it's great in my AK.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts