Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a SOG Fast Hawk Tomahawk yesterday from budk.com. I've always wanted to get into throwing hawks but was always more worried about knives,ammo,guns,and such. Do any of you guys throw tomahawks and if so is there certain things I should look for in a good throwing hawk? I know it needs to be well balanced and all of that I used to throw knives alot and still do occasionally but What blade features should I be looking for and what type of steel holds up better for throwing? I saw some really cheap ones for like 10 bucks but i'm not believing for a second that a 10 dollar tomahawk would hold up to the abuse it would take. I bought the fast hawk just to practice with and it is also perfectly suitable for clearing out some small trees and brush on my property. Oh and If any of you guys have pictures of yours feel free to post them. I'll post pics of the SOG when I get it in. Any info is appreciated and in the meantime I will certainly be researching for more info as well.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I tried, but he kept grabbing my arm with those dang talons. OUCH!!!

:D

J/K Have kinda wondered about it myself from time to time.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried, but he kept grabbing my arm with those dang talons. OUCH!!!

:D

J/K Have kinda wondered about it myself from time to time.
lol I knew someone would say it.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I tried so hard not to.. I really did...LOL!!!

But yeah, Ive seen some guys that could really toss those things a long ways and accurately, hope someone seriously gives some feedback here..

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I've got one. I got decent with it at close range. I also had a huge round cut from a tree that I used for a target, and the rest of the tree for firewood. It didn't take me long before I was sticking it more than not.

I can't offer you any advice or anything (sorry). Mine has a wood handle. A very classic style. Find one that says it is for throwing and practice.

Have fun. I haven't tossed mine for a few years. I am not even sure what happened to my target round. :oops:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a buddie cutting me some tree rounds of various sizes so I should be set up here soon.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Funny thing,..... I could throw my hawk fairly decently, but the two Gil Hibben knives I have,.... I can't seem to throw worth crap. :confused: :oops:

FWIW, I think my hawks came from Smoky Mountain Knife Works.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny thing,..... I could throw my hawk fairly decently, but the two Gil Hibben knives I have,.... I can't seem to throw worth crap. :confused: :oops:

FWIW, I think my hawks came from Smoky Mountain Knife Works.
Yeah I'm gonna get some more traditional style hawks in the near future but I Got the SOG so I wouldn't break it while I'm learning. As far as throwing knives I was decent but I only had a few sets of really cheap ones. I got rid of those and found I can throw my buck knife really well even though it's a hunting knife.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He'll yeah ups dropped my package off at my post office a full day ahead of schedule! I'll have my hawk in just a little while:D

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As promised heres a few cell phone pics

Overall its smaller than I thought but it has really good balance, when I get set up with some good targets I'll snap some more picks of the hawk in action.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why would you want to throw away a perfectly good weapon/tool? If you're looking at it for weapon purposes....they're designed for extreme close quarter battle. My suggestion would be to learn how to use it properly. Just my .02

·
Registered
160 Posts
Have some experience throwing more traditional wood handle tomahawks but my suggestion is to start at 7 paces from the target. Put a line in the ground. Your front foot will stop at that line when releasing. I throw left handed so my right foot will be forward. The idea is to make one full rotation before sticking. If the handle hits before the blade, move back. If the handle is pointing back at you or the blade hits high, move forward. Start with a medium grip when seting up and in the backswing. Then just before release ease up on your grip while maintaining your hand posture. Remember to follow through after release. I hope this helps but practice will make it perfect. Once you get better, staple a playing card in the center of the log and try to cut it in half. good luck!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
You might consider a true throwing axe, they're pretty cheap.

Throwing Axe Tomahawk Carbon Steel - BUDK

They're soft-tempered so they don't snap in two. I doubt that SOG holds up to much throwing, the steel is probably more of a knife steel which is great for getting really sharp but won't hold up to glancing blows. You should be able to get a couple throwing axes and a couple replacement hickory handles for around $50 to get you started.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I've thrown my American Tomhawk Co Vietnam more than a few times.

it's fun. it's held up well, the wood handle has taken some dings, but it's no worse for wear really.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a cold steel hawk and love it. I throw it all the time. Even my grand kids like throwing it. I can put an edge on it that I can shave with I would recommend one to anyone interested in a throwing hawk.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I can throw a mean t-hawk, short or long range. Even have some nice bank shots. But only on black ops, not real life.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just a heads up. Wal-Mart has the SOG FastHawk for $20 in the sporting goods section. At mine they weren't with the knives, they were on an endcap with some other seasonal "gift packaging" knife sets. They have the SOG machete with the saw blade cut back for $20 also. Walmart.com lists them as $40.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts