Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to ARs and have been looking at some Del-ton rifle kits.

What is the difference between an M4 16inch rifle and a regular 16 inch rifle? There are also mid length rifles. Can someone explain the difference please?

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
short/sweet

The barrel. M4 barrel has cutout for the attachment of a M203 launcher.

Midlength has the gas port hole farther down the barrel than the carbine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if i was not looking to add a grenade launcher, my best bet would be the standard 16 inch rifle? and another question. on the standard handguards that come with the rifle, will i be able to attach any rails to them? or would i need to upgrade to say a 4 rail handguard?

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
It depends on what "look" you have in mind. If you want to put together something that looks like what the mil is using then get M4 barrel. If not, the plain barrel. Some of the "plain" barrels are what they call Hbar, heavy barrel, and they weigh a bit more than the M4 style barrel. There are also lightweight "pencil" barrels.

There are kits to attach rails to standard handguards but IMO they are best avoided. They are not "solid".

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
To piggy back on what mvician said, you can get the regular handguards right now and add rails later or you can upgrade now and have it sent to you with the rails already installed. You may save a little money this way, but they also may not offer the rails you want. There are plenty to choose from.

I will also second what he said about adding a rail to the plastic handguard. Not very solid. Railed handguards range from $60-$300. I wouldn't recommend the $60 ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts