Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, now that the gun buying fever has hit so many other people to drive sales up at least 10% due to Obama-fear-itis, I'm thinking of hopping on that bandwagon just in case. So...what should I get?

I know that ammo is my first must, above all else.
Already have 2 handgunz, one .45, the other be a 9.

Should I get another handgun? If so, should it be an XD? M&P? Ruger SR9 (oh wait, Kommiefornia doesn't allow those yet)? What caliber?

Already have an ancient rifle. Not sure what it is? I think it is an Springfield US Government, but not sure what caliber. Also have a Winny 30-30 lever. Mint, never fired.

Shotgun? Another rifle? Bolt? Lever action? What caliber? For both 2-legged and 4-legged critters.

Budget is a serious issue. Anything over $600 is out for sure. The lower the cost, the better. I was planning to get one later and save up, but the pressure is on.

Or should I chill and wait?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Pistol grip shotgun all the way. I believe you ought to be able to get a pretty good one for under $400 which will make your budget happy. Plus they are a lot of fun to shoot.

If my company gives out a bonus in the next month (which looks positive at this time) then that's what I'm getting. I'll have my 9, my 40 and a 12 gauge and if you come into my house, you won't stand a chance.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I gotta go with a nice shotgun. Look at a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 series shotgun. You can buy one already decked out in tacticool configuration or you can get a rack grade model and do the upgrades yourself. You should be able to get a shotty, extended mag tube, shell carrier/side saddle, whatever other accessories you want and some ammo for less than your $600 max.

Here is a Remy setup:
AI&P Tactical Remington 870 Magnum, W/Rebate : Pump at GunBroker.com
(FYI...the AIP is about all you could ever want in a pump tactical shotty!!)

or

Remington 870 Tactical rig, Collapsible butt Etc : Pump at GunBroker.com

Here is a Mossberg setup:
Mossberg 500 Tactical 18.5 barrel : Pump at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
+1 on the shotty.

You've got a couple pistols, and I doubt that anything that comes down from washington is gonna put a limit on bolt action or lever action rifles.

But a tactical shotgun might be, plus as others have already said, its not gonna break the bank! I like Mossbergs myself, but theres tons of good pumps out there to look at. Have fun!!!

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
In Cali your choices are limited anyway, so go for something that is black and looks evil;)

Shotguns will probably be one of the last items to be removed from your ownership potential.

Are you just looking to spend some money, or do you have a purpose in mind for the next firearm ??

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I didn't realize you live in CA... that's really too bad and takes away a number of great options! If I were in your exact position, I'd get a Saiga 12. They're running about $530 so they stay in your range. I believe (though could be wrong) that you could do a conversion a little later when funds allow (would probably run you under 150) and still be CA legal. Since "hi capacity" isn't as meaningful with a shotgun as it is with a rifle (AK, AR) I think it's a good choice. It covers a lot of ground in terms of what you get (a shotty to your collection, an "evil" gun, etc)

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Well..I'd say, buy anything that is high capacity...pistol or rifle...BUT...you're in CA so thats a no no.

I don't think the CA folks have much to worry about. The rest of us in the free states will probably end up with CA styled bans or restrictions.

So anyone outside of CA, NY or the other "occupied states" I say, buy up anythign that is high capacity. If you own hi-cap pistols, but some extra mags, because I can remember in 94, when my G17 mags went from 24 bucks to 75 bucks overnight.

Buy an AR, AK, FAL, M1-A, Mini-14 or other hi-cap rifle and lots of mags. Buy any hi-cap autopistol you have wanted because those also might see a limit on mag capacity.

Me? I bought a nice used Mini-14 and have 10 hicaps for it. Bought extra mags for my P228, Hi-Power, G22 and XD-40. The pistols themselves will probably not be banned...but you will probably see 10rd mag limits.

Seriously though, those in CA or other overly restrictive states...why worry? Its the rest of us that will be under the leftist jackboot once again as far as gun ownership goes. You guys will see a continuation of the same old same old.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I think it has less to do with him worrying and more to do with him not wanting to be the only person on the board without a new gun... which is as good of an excuse as any! :twisted:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Every collection should have at least 1 shotgun in it.
I picked up my Mossburg 500 from big 5 for $299 and it came with 2 barrels.
BUT I doubt shotguns are going anywhere so my vote would be a good semi auto rifle. Here in Kalifornistan they are a little hard to find and getting more and more expensive so my vote would be a Kel-tec SU16ca, a good .223 semi auto with a 10rd magazine. Its cheaper than the mini-14 and from what I hear more accurate. PLUS the one at my local gun store has one for $579
(My next purchase. I'm hoping nobody gets it before I can afford to buy it)

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In Cali your choices are limited anyway, so go for something that is black and looks evil;)

Shotguns will probably be one of the last items to be removed from your ownership potential.

Are you just looking to spend some money, or do you have a purpose in mind for the next firearm ??
Yeah, still can not sell house. :-( In my case, it isn't the market, exactly, it is people being too picky. They are thinking they can buy any house at less than half the asking price which is utter B.S. around here. I should have been in the Pacific Northwest by now. So, I'm exceedingly frustrated.

This is why I have been putting off buying anything since the "good stuff" in outside of CA. But due to Obama being very likely becoming President, I feel I should get something anyway, but it should be something useful and not redundant.

I think you're right about shotguns being the last thing on the list to get banned or whatever. It is a good idea to get one though. Sadly, AK's, AR's, and the like are not an option here, really. I read a lot of posts with folks having a decent spread of SHTF guns, and I figure I better get on the ball as it may already be nearly too late. Better do so than wish I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts