Votes: 13 24.5%
  • AR pistol

Votes: 1 1.9%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It'll be awhile before I can justify the money for anything, but its best to have a focus for my obsessions.

Revolver, 1911, or lever gun?

I have never had examples of any of them. I have never even shot a 1911 or lever-gun.

I currently have the basic Fudd guns (22, bolt gun, shotgun) plus; the XDm40, 22 pistol, Hi-point 995, Keltec SU-16, AR in 6.8, inline muzzle loader, crossbow, and break barrel pellet gun.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You should have had a "all of the above option." I voted for the 1911, but a sweet revolver would be just as good. Sorry I'm not more help.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I believe all of those are must own weapons. I am partial to the 1911 myself, but every gun owner should own all 3 of those.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Well, I'm lusting after guns in all 3 categories, so I don't know if my opinion will be helpful. 1911s are expensive, but they really are perfection as far as a handgun is concerned. I would like to get a double stack mag version some day, but I love my remington R1.

For lever guns, there's a bunch of nice ones, but personally, I'd like a Marlin 45-70. You can't go wrong with a 94, or a Henry .22 though.

For revolvers, I want a hand cannon, like a .460 S&W, or BFR. But you don't have a basic .357 yet, so that might be good.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
By the way props on the 6.8. That's on my short list.

For the money I think Sig, ruger, and springfield dominate the budget sector for quality 1911. Sigs can definitely get up there in cash however. I highly recommend buying an entry level to start. Some people just hate the platform after trying it. It's not for everyone. If you like it look for a higher end Sig, colt, Kimber, wesson, or trp.

As far as lever guns. An octagon 357 lever gun is quite possibly the most enjoyable rifle to shoot. The action is just so timeless. Look into a Marlin or equivalent.

Revolvers are easy. Ruger gp100 is the clear choice. Own one and love it. If you want to spend a bit more then go with a Smith. Their triggers are incredible out of the box. They are quality plain and simpke. I just never got THAT into revolvers. I've owned several, in 357, 44, and 454 casull. The only one that remains is the gp100. 44 is not fun to shoot over two cylinders. It loses It's fun factor, and just begins to be painful.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
American Tactical Imports ATI FX GI 1911 .45ACP 4.25-inch 7rd Online Gun Store!

this ad is what got me thinking 1911. I figure it is the cheapest option, assuming new.
I've heard pretty good things about Filipino 1911s, and I'm guessing I'd want an extended beaver tail to minimize the chance of slide-bite. I've got beefy hands.

for a revolver, I'd probably lean towards a 44mag or a Rhino. I doubt I'll ever buy another Smith.

for a lever gun, I'm much less sure.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts

this ad is what got me thinking 1911. I figure it is the cheapest option, assuming new.
I've heard pretty good things about ATI Philippines made 1911s, and I'm guessing I'd want an extended beaver tail.

for a revolver, I'd probably lean towards a 44 or a Rhino

I totally forgot the kings of budget! Those base 1911's give you a ton of potential to start transforming then. ATI or RIA make a hell of a 1911. I own 2 rock islands and they are awesome! Definitely extended beavertail. You won't get the glorious trigger of a higher end, but you get a well balanced pistol for sure.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
RIA tactical is the BEST dollar per feature pistol on the market IMO

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts

I've heard pretty good things about Filipino 1911s, and I'm guessing I'd want an extended beaver tail to minimize the chance of slide-bite. I've got beefy hands.

for a revolver, I'd probably lean towards a 44mag or a Rhino. I doubt I'll ever buy another Smith.

If 1911 go with RIA or Citidal

If Lever-action there is a lot in the lower cost range. Rossi, Marlin, Henry are a few. I would recommend a LA in 357/38. Low recoil and lots of fun

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I am trying to not buy a single gun this year (unless I sell one to pay for it.) I went nuts last year. But in regards to 1911's the OP better off to not shoot or get one. They travel in packs. Next year I hope to add an Ed Brown.

In regards to you guys wanting a Rhino, I get the idea an all but I just want to say that you can no longer join in on Glocks are ugly threads now that your Rhino affection is on record.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
IMI/Magnum Research Desert Eagle.

Chambered in .357 ...

Of COURSE I could also win the Ca. lottery!

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I'd vote 1911. maybe try and find a way to shoot all 3 and decide after you’ve had a chance to get a feel for them??.. if your ever in my neck of the woods gimme a holler.. I have several examples of all the guns you mentioned.. it would be no problem at all to let you try any of them out. ( like I really need an excuse to sling lead) :)

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
I don't own a 1911,but when I do it will be a Colt in .38 super just like my dad owned. I voted for the lever action and I think a Henry in .357/.38 would be a blast!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I pick up my GP100 357in about an hour so check that one off. No on to the next lust after gun. I bought a Sig 1911 last spring and love it. So I really think its time for a lever action. So much fun shooting these great guns.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts