Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking for my first pistol to buy and had been deliberating between the Gen 4 G17 and an XDM9. Initially wasn't too big on Glock ergos with previous generations but Gen 4 has rectified those for me (size of grip, reversible mag release). I still love and want to get an XDM9, but I'm cash limited and found a better price on the Gen 4 G17.

I know that there have been issues with the Gen 4 double captive recoil springs, but I've found a place (GlockStore.com - Glock Parts & Accessories, Glock Magazines & Apparel) that sells an adapter ring that will allow me to run a Gen 3 spring assembly in a Gen 4 frame so I'll have the best of both worlds.

Just gotta finish scrapping up the cash, will probably take me a couple more months but hope to have it by January or February! I'll post a report and pics when I do finally have it.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
No reason to buy the adapter. If you have a new run then it should already be fixed. If not then call Glock, give them your serial number, and they will ship out the updated spring assembly. Took about 4 days to get mine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Got a chance to run a mag out of a gen4 17 a couple of weeks ago. Jammed twice. FTF bad thing, its a duty gun for a LEO friend

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No reason to buy the adapter. If you have a new run then it should already be fixed. If not then call Glock, give them your serial number, and they will ship out the updated spring assembly. Took about 4 days to get mine.
I know that they've supposedly fixed it by changing the weight of the springs, but that double captive system still just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy. I'd rather have the Gen 3 system, which is so proven and reliable, with the ergonomic improvements of Gen 4 and this seems like the best way to do it. I'm not suggesting the Gen 4 system is bad now, (it seemed fine in the range rental I shot last month) but this is just my personal preference on it. YMMV.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Almost 1200 posts on XDTalk and your first handgun is going to be a Glock.

:(

How many posts do you have on GlockTalk? :)
LOL It's the pentacle of Espionage! :shock:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I couldn't get through a single mag of any ammo without a FTF with the original spring.

With the new one I'm about 4500 rounds into my 950 fps 95 grain competition loads with zero malfunctions.

I'm just saying that you can save yourself some money until you actually know you have a problem.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Almost 1200 posts on XDTalk and your first handgun is going to be a Glock.

:(

How many posts do you have on GlockTalk? :)
Ha ha, that made me LOL Thunder! Believe me, I really want to get an XDM9 too, and had planned to own both of these anyway, but I shot the Gen 4 G17 at a rental range last month and fell in love with it. Plus, I've been seeing them for less than the XDM, and with my extremely limited budget, that was the deciding factor for me.

FYI: I have ZERO post on GlockTalk!:p

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I have a few posts on this forum, and I also don't own an XD. I was/am interested in XDs, but, so far, haven't been motivated enough to pony up the $$ to buy one.

I do own a few Glocks and have fired over 200,000 rounds through them, so I guess I'm a little biased. I agree with the OP, in that I'd probably go with the Gen3 spring with adapter, rather than the two-spring system. Part of my reason for that choice would be that I have lots of springs and steel guide rods for Glocks.

I don't think you'll go wrong with the Glock, and you won't have to worry about breaking any roll pins. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
holy crap, there's a gen 4 now! how many are they gonna have THIS century!? i still say "Get an XD" (ha, just razzing all these glock worshoppers over here).

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
holy crap, there's a gen 4 now! how many are they gonna have THIS century!? i still say "Get an XD" (ha, just razzing all these glock worshoppers over here).
ha ha yea it does feel kinda weird making this announcement on an XD forum. But like I say, I love 'em both, have always planned to own both, and which one would come first was simply a matter of which I could afford first. As my dad says "being broke is nothing to be ashamed of, but it can be really un-handy sometimes" :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
My Gen 4 17 runs reliably with stock springs using my reloads and ejects to the right everytime. I have shot an Xdm 9 and used it for my competition gun, then switched to a 1911 and Glock 17. Nothing against the Xdm, I like them and will probably get the new 5.25 in .40 sometime. Shoot what you like and have fun!

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I've been seeing them for less than the XDM, and with my extremely limited budget, that was the deciding factor for me.
Couldn't tell you how many times the thought of "Why is this XDm so fricking expensive" run through my mind.

Thus the reason when I went to a compact 9mm.... the Glock was head and shoulders. Am really looking forward to a SA single stack/compact 9. Ruger, Kahr, Kimber, Kel-Tech, and now Beretta is stealing the show!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Couldn't tell you how many times the thought of "Why is this XDm so fricking expensive" run through my mind.

Thus the reason when I went to a compact 9mm.... the Glock was head and shoulders. Am really looking forward to a SA single stack/compact 9. Ruger, Kahr, Kimber, Kel-Tech, and now Beretta is stealing the show!
You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Nothing wrong with Glocks, that was the last handgun I bought. It has had some small issues but overall, great gun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd sell the Savage 16G and the AMT and try and get both XDM and the Glock. (unless they have sentimental value)

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd sell the Savage 16G and the AMT and try and get both XDM and the Glock. (unless they have sentimental value)
They do, actually. The Savage is on long term loan from a friend, so it isn't mine to sell and the AMT was my grandpa's gun. The trigger has fallen out of it, but I plan to get it fixed one day. Even if I don't, I could never sell it; it's my connection to my grandpa. Appreciate the suggestion though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's not just a spring problem. After 3-4 different RSA'a Glock is now replacing the extractors on the GEN 4's and their is a new ejector. The problem is not just with the GEN 4's either. I bought a late model GEN 3 to avoid the GEN 4's problems. The late model GEN 3's are using some GEN 4 parts and having similar problems. Mines back at Glock right now.
They are focusing on the GEN 4's problems so I don't even know what they are doing with the GEN 3's. If you get one make sure it has the new ejector. I think it's 30274 as opposed to the original 336 as far as parts numbers. Glock will not send you the new ejector as they have the various RSA's. For whatever reason you have to send the gun in to get the ejector installed. Got three friends going through it with their G19's. They are finally working right but all of them had the latest RSA's, extractor and ejector replaced. And the new light gray colored finish is apparently not as durable as the older black finish. Just FYI.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
It's not just a spring problem. After 3-4 different RSA'a Glock is now replacing the extractors on the GEN 4's and their is a new ejector. The problem is not just with the GEN 4's either. I bought a late model GEN 3 to avoid the GEN 4's problems. The late model GEN 3's are using some GEN 4 parts and having similar problems. Mines back at Glock right now.
They are focusing on the GEN 4's problems so I don't even know what they are doing with the GEN 3's. If you get one make sure it has the new ejector. I think it's 30274 as opposed to the original 336 as far as parts numbers. Glock will not send you the new ejector as they have the various RSA's. For whatever reason you have to send the gun in to get the ejector installed. Got three friends going through it with their G19's. They are finally working right but all of them had the latest RSA's, extractor and ejector replaced. And the new light gray colored finish is apparently not as durable as the older black finish. Just FYI.
dang, i hate to hear glocks are having such a hard time...(where's that bully on the simpson laughing in the background at now when you need him!) don't mind me this is mostly for AZ anyway (if he sees it...that "ha ha" is for him, not all you glock lovers - hope you do get it ironed out).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts