Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find what I'm looking for. Is there a plug that will fit in the grip frame with a lanyard loop? Maybe I've over looked it, it's possible, I'm a jackass. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I can't think of any good reason you would need a lanyard on a pistol.. but if you need a lanyaryd... by god you need a lanyard!!

If I needed a lanyard.. I think I would just get a little bit of JB Weld and glue an eye on to the pistol. It's a polymer frame, so JB Weld would work just fine.

Good luck.. and a picture would be greatly appreciated.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Captain, I'm not really sure why I need a lanyard either, just wanted to see what was out there in the event I need to tie my gun to me. :lol: Whatever I decide to do, I'll be sure to post pics.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
SWAT and Tactical teams use a lanyard on their sidearms to prevent a PERP from grabbing it.
Most Sigs have a loop to attach a lanyard to on the stock Handgrips.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
jetsiphon said:
Well Captain, I'm not really sure why I need a lanyard either, just wanted to see what was out there in the event I need to tie my gun to me. :lol: Whatever I decide to do, I'll be sure to post pics.
I think it is a silly idea.. it's not like a flashlight, and you are worried about dropping into the water or something.. If you are worried about a bad guy grabbing your pistol from you,, shoot them! I just don't see the sense in this kind of modification.

Now it is true, that some kind of pistols may misfire if they are dropped.. and this would be a serious concern if you owned one of those pistols.. Dropping your pistol is not a huge concern of the average pistol owner.

DONT DROP YOUR PISTOL!! if you do.. misfiring will be the least of your worries.

Raymond

·
Registered
889 Posts
Okay, now maybe if you where jumping from a plane, or fast roping from your Blackhawk into a hot LZ, or chaseing catle ruslers on horse back, okay maybe if you spent alot of time on an ATV you might want a lanyard, but, now this just me, but if I was using one it would without a doubt get caught on every door knob I walked past, yanking my gun out of the holser, and more then likely, who am I kidding it WOULD flinging it through the nearest window smashing it into tiny little peices, leaving me standing there looking like some kind of moron :oops: , and that kind of help I don't need :roll: .

·
Registered
595 Posts
A lanyard does nothing to keep someone from grabbing your pistol and shooting you with it.....It normally has a full arm's length of travel from the holster. That is well more that enough for someone to "graband jab" you with it. A lanyarn is designed to allow you to retrive your weapon in case it is dropped while parajumping , climbing, rolling, etc. Although not normally thought of, a lanyard can also be used as a secondary device to secure a longarm while parajumping or as a safety device to keep a soldier in an open aircraft.
http://www.downrangesports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1525

Here is a clip from an article on the USMCWEAPONS.COM website. The link is listed below:

The lanyard is a great idea, but its also a pain. Depending on the additional gear a Marine has to wear, the lanyard is not to anyone's advantage; it is restrictive and irritating. I realize the purpose of the lanyard is to retain the weapon when the Marine does not, but before I reform my opinion, I would like to see the report stating the number of lost pistols in any given year, and how the lanyard would have prevented that loss. There are times when a lanyard would be a great idea. I would encourage Marines working in boat teams, hitting the beach in a Mike Boat, or crossing rivers and large streams, to use this as an additional safety device, stowing it in the pack once that danger is past.
http://www.usmcweapons.com/articles/Pistol/M9 MMNF.htm

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
This is a question I had also, as I used the search feature and found this thread..... I have used a lanyard for swat work for 9-10 years now on my Beretta, but now with the XD Tactical .40 there is no loop. Maybe somebody else can come up with an idea, as I'd hate to drill a hole thru the mag well, maybe CC can make a modification? I'm hoping someone can come up with something......

As far as the need for the lanyard, it is not for keeping the pistol from bad guys, its for retrieval if dropped (not necessarily dropped from the hand) but dropped out of the holster, maybe the holster didnt get secured properly while transitioning back to a rifle, or while using a shield, or whatever Murphys law has for you that day.....as we all know "sh*t happens".......

If anyone else has any ideas, feel free to share.....I want to use my darn lanyard.. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts