Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep...my 1992 Israeli military FN Hi-Power started giving me problems, like the hammer following the slide forward, so I have decided to totally re-make this pistol.

This has been a VERY accurate and reliable shooter with a decent trigger, but the already worn hammer hooks and sear engagement means it is time for replacements. I was also never really jazzed about the dinky safety, either.

So I called Cylinder & Slide and with their suggestions, bought a completely matched hammer, sear and spring set. I also bought one of their extended carry safeties and a set of pretty Herrett cocobolo grips.

I am not really at odds with the stock 3 dot sights - they seem to hit well with a 6 o'clock hold and since this HP has always been very accurate, I am keeping the stock FN barrel.

I am also going to have the entire pistol Cerakoted in a nice dark flat black and have the barrel bead blasted to a nice matte silver. I might go with teflon....but it is quite a bit more expensive to teflon than Creakote.

When I get it all done (...and this will take some time), I'll post photos and a range report. This already sweet shooter will finally look as good as it shoots and have an even better trigger than before....and be safe again.

Fingers crossed that it will turn out to be even better than it used to be.

Thanks,

Brickboy240

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
I Hope you post before and after pics. I love my hi powers some of the best handguns ever made. I have been wanting to send one of mine to a custom shop to get a complete overhaul but cant afford it right now.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, when I was shooting the HP over the Labor Day weekend, I had two instances where the hammer followed the slide forward and landed on the half cock. I then would cock the hammer and shoot the rest of the magazine.

Then...one time when I inserted a mag and let the slide go forward, the first round went off (!!!). Luckily, I was shooting alone and had it pointed down range. I immediately stopped and unloaded...whew! LOL

Bought the Cylinder & Slide hammer/sear/springs kit, then the extended safety and all new springs. Their stuff looks fantastic...so do the Herrett grips. The people at Cylinder & Slide are VERY nice and helpful. Yes, their wares are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

My smith is pretty savvy on Hi-Powers but his refinishing costs are on the high side. Still...you get what you pay for and his work looks fantastic.

If the re-assembly/fitting does not cost too much, I will splurge and get the pistol teflon finished. If not....I might get it re-parkerized.

Either way...yes...it ought to be great. It was always an above average shooter, so I am working with a pistol that has much potential.

This is actually the first time I have had extensive pistol work done like this.

- brickboy240

1 - 3 of 3 Posts