Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preface:
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum. There was no relevant topic under use and training, so I felt that this was general XD talk, since I will undoubtedly be shooting my XD s at this bad boy of a project.

So, I came up with that I think is a pretty cool idea for a full-sized silhouette steel target. This involves numerous hinged flaps to better indicate where you're hitting.

Other than the hinged flaps, is there anything else I can do to reduce the chance of ricochet? I'm thinking that it's a specific kind of alloy used in the creation, but what do I know?

Whatcga got XDTalk?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's similar in that it's a humanoid with hinged target areas.

Imagine a silhouette of a cliché bad guy with intent to hurt you... and many different vulnerable spots at which you may shoot to stop, drop, shock, mock, maim, dismember, disarm, disable, or otherwise incapacitate said bad guy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've done light reading on this I as I have access to a full machine shop and what I've seen most recommend for all calibers is AR500 steel. It holds up the abuse being heat treated w a high hardness and will shatter most rounds fired at it without deformity. You'll need to take care in cutting though or you'll basically ruin the treatment in the cut areas if you go with a plasma cutter or torch however. Something to think about because paying to have speciality cuts done on a water jet or laser would run a small fortune in comparison to just buying what you want to make if it's a 1 off job.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I've done light reading on this I as I have access to a full machine shop and what I've seen most recommend for all calibers is AR500 steel. It holds up the abuse being heat treated w a high hardness and will shatter most rounds fired at it without deformity. You'll need to take care in cutting though or you'll basically ruin the treatment in the cut areas if you go with a plasma cutter or torch however. Something to think about because paying to have speciality cuts done on a water jet or laser would run a small fortune in comparison to just buying what you want to make if it's a 1 off job.
I also was thinking about doing something like this. My dad owns a machine shop but time and materials would have added up so quick I just bought a few pre-cut ar500 plates and built a stand for them

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Just spend the money and order an AR500 steel target from ebay. A lot less time and effort than machining it yourself. If you are just shooting pistol (9mm) ordinary 1018 Carbon steel will hold up fine. I have built a few Auto reset poppers out of 3/8" Carbon Steel and it's held up so far. Now any rifle will cut clean through it but 9mm pistol is fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts